Good Bye 15 Year Old Radials

60FlatTop

1997 doesn't seem that long ago, but that was the date code on the tires the PA arrived with. and they were lumpy. Over the winter I had found 4 NOS wheels the same as mine, still in the boxes. Out of the boxes today!

post-46237-143141912203_thumb.jpg

I put 4 new 215-70X14's on the car:

post-46237-143141912221_thumb.jpg

Now when this set is 15 years old I'll be about 80. The car just turned 51,000 so I figure I just put on the third set. If I have to put on another set after 15 years, I'm going to stretch an extra 5 years out of the fourth set.

Bernie

Guest Rob McDonald

BERNIE, you're a wimp. The Remington wide yellowish-whites on my Buick are over 30 years old. Mind you, they've got less that a couple thousand miles on them, mostly under my long-gone '56 Dodge. When I had a tire shop repair a slow leak last year, they made me promise I'd replace these relics, if and when I ever start really driving the car. Scouts honour, will do.

Actually, I decided to put a rush on the new tires last Saturday. My wife and I took the car to the little village 5 miles away and she drove. We have to cross a fairly new bridge over the Erie Canal about half way there. She was driving when we came back and as we crossed the bridge I was noticing how bad the tires were. I wondered what she would do if one blew out and if we'd end up in the canal or in the oncoming lane. Monday I ordered the tires and got them mounted Thursday. One less risk in life.

Bernie

Around here (south central Texas) radials might last 5-6 years (trailer tires less)...I have never worn out a radial. Bias ply age better since it seems it is the belts that detach with age. A friend with a 70 GSX bought some tires to replace the 10yr old set, but wanted to do one last burnout with the old ones...the flapping tread only did a little damage. On the old iron that I drive only a few thousand miles a year, I use bias ply which will last 15,000 miles...on the cars that I drive over 5,000 miles a year, I go with radials which get replaced in 5 years.

Willie

Guest 75RivGS

Last year I had to change the old bias ply tires on my Electra while in the USA: really had a hard time finding new white wall (1") tires.

Are they becoming rare?

384745_4378248183881_678140433_n.jpg

It has been getting harder to find white wall tires in common sizes for close to ten years now. Coker has the tires for the show car. Summit Racing sells them at a slightly lower cost and ships free. I saved close to $200 on my last set of 8.20 X 15's; two tanks of gas to hepl me wear them out.

Cooper Tires had whites for my '94 Roadmaster.

The ones on the convertible were the only set in town.

I'm not into black walls for the type of car I drive. When its an upscale car the blackwall tires tend to denigrate the whole presence.

My Impala has black wall Nito Envo 255 50 X17's. It's a cop car with leather seats and fancy wheels. Whitewalls would screw that up for sure.

I need four 7.10 X 15's for the Riviera, maybe for next season. They will be the same narrow whites I got last time. After that I will be good for tires into my 80's. It sure is great to only think about keeping the cars another 30-35 years. Young guys are gonna have some problems owning what they want. Tires will be the least of it.

Bernie

Edited by 60FlatTop (see edit history)

......After that I will be good for tires into my 80's. It sure is great to only think about keeping the cars another 30-35 years......

Moral of the story: Then and when you are in your 80's, the only good years left in life are the Goodyear tires on your car. :o

Al Malachowski

BCA #8965

"500 Miles West of Flint"

Guest Peter Bird

That's a great article on how to read a tire (above). Tomorrow I am going out and checking my tyres age because I think they've had it as well. There are cracks inside the grooves. The tyres look brand new, but on closer inspection you can see there are cracks all through the grooves and long splits on the sidewall

I think the real moral is to change the damned things before you end up in the canal or someone's grille, you might never make it to your 80's. If not for your own sake, think about the people in the oncoming car.

Same thing goes for brakes. I know there are some who have adapted to poor brake systems. When was the last time you tested them as if your kid ran out in front of you? I used to do quick quotes for brake jobs; "'bout the same cost as two bumpers, yours and his."- full job averages 400 bucks per wheel, but bumpers were cheaper in the mid-'90's.

Bernie