PA YOM Vintage Plate - Can I use out-of-state plate?

Guest andrewconrad

Guest andrewconrad

This is likely a dumb question, but I can't find anything specific about it anywhere! I just moved my 69 ford from CA to PA, and I have the original YOM black-with-yellow plates on it. I'd love to keep these as the YOM vintage plates that are now allowed in PA under the new 2012 law. Reading the statute over and over, I can't find anything specifying that the plate must be for PA. Is this just so obvious that they don't bother to say it?

This is likely a dumb question, but I can't find anything specific about it anywhere! I just moved my 69 ford from CA to PA, and I have the original YOM black-with-yellow plates on it. I'd love to keep these as the YOM vintage plates that are now allowed in PA under the new 2012 law. Reading the statute over and over, I can't find anything specifying that the plate must be for PA. Is this just so obvious that they don't bother to say it?
Yes.

Yes, it is so obvious?

Or yes, you can use out of state plates?

I'd be very surprised if you could use out of state plates but that only based on the assumption that each state would like their own plates on cars registered in their state. Doing otherwise would be a nightmare for looking up the registered owner of a car if/when a law enforcement officer runs a check.

• 2 months later...
Guest dcdpgh

I encountered this exact situation this past weekend, and it prompted me to come here to see if this had been discussed. While on my way to an old car event, I was passed on the road by another car which had a vintage plate from another state on it's rear bumper. Since I "went vintage" I tend to be more observant of the plates on other old cars. I even commented about it to my wife who was in the car with me at the time. I was hoping to find the car and talk to the driver once we arrived, but was unable to find either as this was a rather large event. To make the story even more strange, the other car was a 69 Ford, and it had a black and yellow California vintage plate on it....

• 2 weeks later...
I encountered this exact situation this past weekend, and it prompted me to come here to see if this had been discussed. While on my way to an old car event, I was passed on the road by another car which had a vintage plate from another state on it's rear bumper. Since I "went vintage" I tend to be more observant of the plates on other old cars. I even commented about it to my wife who was in the car with me at the time. I was hoping to find the car and talk to the driver once we arrived, but was unable to find either as this was a rather large event. To make the story even more strange, the other car was a 69 Ford, and it had a black and yellow California vintage plate on it....

It is my recollection, which wikipedia agrees with, is that a '69 model should have blue and yellow tags: Vehicle registration plates of California - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I guess it is possible that it's a '69 model first sold and registered in '68 and have been issued black and yellow tags but seems more likely that the plates are bogus or repaints if the number is valid.

Guest 52htman
It is my recollection, which wikipedia agrees with, is that a '69 model should have blue and yellow tags: Vehicle registration plates of California - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I guess it is possible that it's a '69 model first sold and registered in '68 and have been issued black and yellow tags but seems more likely that the plates are bogus or repaints if the number is valid.

I have form (MV-11V (8-12)) in front of myself now. First you have to register your vehicle as an antique vehicle by getting a reg. antique plate at $75 then you can use a vintage Pa. plate of the same year of your vehicle for another $75. The last part of the form which is section D reads - I certify the vintage registration plate is an authentic Pennsylvania registration plate for the year of manufacture listed in section C

Edited by 52htman
spelling (see edit history)

• 2 weeks later...
I have form (MV-11V (8-12)) in front of myself now. First you have to register your vehicle as an antique vehicle by getting a reg. antique plate at $75 then you can use a vintage Pa. plate of the same year of your vehicle for another $75. The last part of the form which is section D reads - I certify the vintage registration plate is an authentic Pennsylvania registration plate for the year of manufacture listed in section C

Please don't tell Maine about this. It costs $15.00 yearly for antique plates and we are allowed to use YOM plates at no charge. We must keep the current antique plate in the vehicle.

Guest 52htman

Well this is Pa. and it is all about the money here. If you want to use your antique tags in this state it will cost you all together $150

• 7 years later...

Ply33: 

I had a 1969 Mustang that had black and yellow plates. However, I bought it used in '70 so your assumption that it was first registered in '68 and thus had the black and yellow and not the blue/yellow plates seems valid. I was too young in that era to pay attention to that kind of thing.🙄