replacing tubes/tires on 29 Nash Coupe

Guest shirley Farris

Guest shirley Farris

I have a 29 Nash coupe that needs tubes? which I have purchased, Tires continually going flat.

Question is what is best way to do this? Some say open and spread rim, which I am afraid we

cannot get back together, Or deflate tires and take to tire shop? Do not want to damage tires?

Any help out there, Maybe someone has done this and can help. Thanks Shirley

First choice would be a local antique auto restoration shop, if you have one.

Second choice is an old time truck tire place.

last choice is a modern chain type tire store. They won't do it anyway.

How much of a rush? If you have a local antique car show, ask the owners of cars with rims like yours. Maybe they can help, or suggest a shop.

• 4 weeks later...

I can change (that is install a new tire and/or tube on my 1930 Pontiac in less than ten minutes. This time includes jacking the car up, removing the split rim, splitting it, removing the tire flap and tube and reinstalling. It dosen't make more than 60 seconds difference whether or not you have a rim jack (spreader). I have seen just as many people ruin a rim with the proper spreader as with any other method. <BR>My preference is to have everything at hand. I believe that leaving the rim split for any length of time is one reason for having them misshapen. I take a long large screwdriver and pop the rim sideways at the split making it like a screw thread. Then you simply pull it out of the tire. To put it back together you have to compensate for the twist in locating the valve stem put the rim inside the tire, snap the sprung part of the rim inside the other part, put a short piece of 2x4 across the rim across from the split but about a third of the way towards the lock, put your hydraulic jack between the 2x4 and the rim latch and a couple of strokes and it jumps right into place. You don't need tire irons or any other tools. The trick is not to push the rim out of round but to push the overlapped part of the rim around until it snaps into place. I have put about 9 sets of new tires on my car and have always (after the first couple of times) been able to do all four wheels in less than an hour. If you want to email me at rhpti@shaw.ca I can maybe help you further.

• 3 weeks later...