Brooks Stevens' EXCALIBUR SS and SSK

Surely these cars belong in here so thought I'd start the thread.

While the Excalibur J was surely the ultimate of these cars, IMHO, Brooks' only constructed three.

The Series I cars were particularly fantastic performers and handlers and looked great doing it.

Let's talk about them.

• 1 month later...
Guest RonB

Where i work,v they bought the remains of a very excalibur SSK. It has the Stude daytona Chassis and supercharged V8 . It has since been rebuilt with a tremec 5 speed trans and provided more than enough power with fantastic performance.

• 2 months later...

Here's a question. has anyone ever had one restored? I know there are some of the folks from the plant still active in Milwaukee. Anyone had work done by them? have work done someplace else and delighted with it?

Anyone ever restored one and considered marketing it is Europe where they do Excalibur tours?

As you may have guessed, I have a pile of parts sitting in the garage that used to be one...

Thanks,

Mike

Here is the car we restored some years back. Recently it was used on a vintage car rally covering close to 1200 miles over a weekend and performed brilliantly. These early cars are completely different to the later (I shall say it...Ugly) versions.

post-94846-143142196129_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...
Guest Mkulina

No offense taken. Anyone who doesn't develop an increased pulse rate seeing that car, must simply be dead. It is gorgeous. You must be very proud of it.

Mike

• 1 month later...

One of the recent (Nov. or Dec.) old car magazines on the newsstand now has an article on a lady that started as a mechanic at Excalibur and now runs a Excalibur restoration shop. In the story she says the total number made, which I forget but it was a sizable number. I would like to see if anyone has pictures of one with another grille on it, like Bentley or Rolls? Also I drove one on a test drive and complained to David Stevens it didn't steer like a sports car but he siad it wasn't supposed to be a sports car so get over it. I also think the two seat roadsters are more dramatic than the four seaters, but do they have a trunk at all? Also weren't the two seaters very nose heavy? I remember seeing one on a TV test on a track and it would spin out on a turn because it was so nose heavy.