Hard top fit

miker98038

While I've owned my 55 for many years, I just replaced the hard top weather stripping. The locating pins just in front of the door were worn to the point the Allen heads weren't visible, and were removed with pliers. With the new pins in place, there's about a 1/4 inch more distance between the pins than the spacing on the body. I'm told this is not unknown with hard tops which spend time off the car. Is there a solution to this? Thanks.

miker

Miker - Is what you are saying is that the pins that fit in the side plates are too wide by 1/4 inch? If that is the case, you are right that is a recurring problem. What I would do is put your top upside down on saw horses and rig up a clamp of some sort that fits on the outside of the lower top edges of the top. I would put moderate pressure on the top for a few days to see if that brings the pins back in alignment. If not, apply a little more pressure and repeat. Don't make it too firm or it could cause the top to crack. Also, don't store the top against the wall with the front of the top pointing up. I think storing it that way encourages the top spread.

• 1 month later...
Guest skygazer

I have the original hard top on my 55. The top has spread about half an inch, so I need to push the side in every time before closing the last side latch. It really isn't much of a problem for me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD