1948 Lincoln Cont conv

ModelTMike

The car has minimal rust. It was inside for 40 years, then sat outside in the weather without a top for a while then put under a carport. It had a new early 50's Lincoln OHV V8 put in by the original owner when the V-12 got tired. This is a new world for me! I belong to the AACA, MTFCA, MTFCI, HCCA, & MOTAA. I've restored 6 Model T's--the most recent one a senior first prize winner. Concerning the Lincoln, I don't even know the part sources! Is this the best Forum for info and advice--I've got lots of questions and will have more as I progress. What books are available that would help me?

I've got one of those too, only my V-12 is out for R&R, hope to run again this year. I've got a Chassis parts catalog, Dec. 1948, that has lots of detail pictures as well as parts no.'s. Two other books are the Ford, Lincoln & Mercury Service Manual 1942-1948 and the Repair Manual Lincoln V12 Engines. (You'll want a 49-51 manual). Find 'em on e-bay or one of the suppliers on this forum, reprints are available.

If it has sat for 40 years, play with the car until it runs, if only poorly. Drive a bit, this will inspire you for the long effort to come.

Abe

Last owner says he had it running a month ago. Abe, I had planned to do as you said and get it going before tearing it apart. I'm going to be tied up with other stuff til about the end of June. I've not spent much time at this website, but, so far I haven't found the list of "Suppliers" you mentioned. I assume, based on the small production numbers (compared to Model Ts), there's not of lot of reproduction parts available--is that correct? I assume the "Ford similar" parts wouldn't be too hard to find, but, something like the strip that the bottom/back of the top attaches to may be very difficult to find. I checked LeBaron-Bonney's website and they listed nothing for Lincolns, but, I didn't talk to them personally yet. For John: I spend about 80% of my time in SC (35 mi sw of Charlotte), and the rest in Crestview, FL in the panhandle, 45 mi w of P'cola.

Mike....you will find Lincoln 36-48 parts supp;iers on this LZOC webpage...click on "sources" for their information. For motor and mechanical parts for you motor check you will need a manual for the motor...try "ebay motors on ebay. You will need to identify the year of your engine manufacture. There has to be any number of old time mechanics in the Charoltte area to help you with the identificaion of the engine. Some literature dealers listed in Hemmings might have the manual for thatengine. You might want to contact Mel Carson in Charlotte (an long time LC owner of a 1948 Cabriolet) at 704-231-3505. He's connected with the Charlotte AACA club and very knowledgable with Lincolns. LZOC members active with this website will also be of help. You need to join LZOC as this club encompases the 36-48 Lincolns. Print out an application from the webpage. Help is just a question away here. Good Luck.