1948 Buick adventure

Another big Buick adventure is about to start. I'm leaving Texas on Friday morning, with empty trailer in tow, bound for the southeastern tip of South Dakota to purchase, pick up, and resurrect a 1948 Super 2-door fastback, model 56-S. It has been stored in this barn for many years, and if all goes well, will see the light of day sometime Saturday afternoon. I'll try to post updates and photos. It's a pretty maroon car with standard shift, 55,000 actual miles, not running due to long storage, and of course will need some work. I've only seen it in photos, but it looks very solid and straight. I'm psyched for the trip. I think I heard about the car on Craig's List. Can't wait to see it in person.

Pete Phillips, BCA #7338

Leonard, Texas

post-32059-143141890691_thumb.jpg

Me three,

Good ole South Dakota, move to Indy in 1973 from South Dakota.

When it snows out there the snow also comes up out of the ground, BELIEVE ME, we know. Nice folks there though.

Dale in Indy

P.S. I have been installing a new main windshield set of rubber seals in my modified Limited, and WHAT A PAIN. I am for sure a hands on guy, and this process has given me fits. I learned last night that the center chrome trim bar when in place was approx. 1/4" from touching the main center rubber piece.

I thought possibly the reveal pinch seal had slipped and was holding the windshield back, so took the complete package back out. WHAT A DIRTY MESS, with all the bedding compound on such. Everything looked ok, so confused.

I have a call in to Steele Rubber to discuss what might be my problem.

Pray for me, LOL, NO, really

Dale in Indy

Made it to Lincoln, Nebraska today, about 625 miles from Leonard, Texas. Afraid I can't say much that is nice about Lincoln, though. Took two hours of driving all over the town just to find a motel--not a motel with a vacant room--just a MOTEL, period. Have never seen anything like this--225,000 people and there are no motels on the major highways or thoroughfares on the south, east, northeast, or southwest sides of the city. Nothing on U.S. Rte. 77; nothing on U.S. Rte. 6, nothing on U.S. Rte. 34 east from in town to the vacant fields on the way to Omaha. They must hide them from visitors. Finally found one on the northwest side of town, after going to three different exits and interchanges on Interstate 80 and still finding none. Tomorrow will be a better day. Should be there to see the '48 by noontime.

The only old Buick I saw today was along U.S. Rte. 81 near Minneapolis, Kansas--a '58 station wagon, pushed down a creekbed years ago, and still hanging on above the water--sad.

Pete Phillips

Guest shadetree77

Wow. Great find Pete. A '48 sedanet is on my "Buicks To Own" list! Looking forward to seeing your work on this one. Keep us updated and have fun!

Guest Rob McDonald

Pretty darned handsome barn, too.

So, Pete, what is this? By my count, about Buick number 58 purchased since I started following you on these forums. Maybe I exaggerate but not much. I suppose you've got a bit of land, like, a Texas-sized bit of land?

post-59990-143141896655_thumb.jpg

Pete,

Looks like you have found a really excellent car there. I'm sure the "revival" process will be enjoyable with such a nice car to begin with. Looking forward to seeing more pictures of your progress. Have fun.

Hooked up a battery and got the engine to turn over today--spins nicely. Took off the valve cover and the valve train is amazingly clean and free of sludge. Here are a few photos. I have not cleaned anything yet in the engine or interior or trunk. The original upholstery is underneath the seat covers. Notice the ivory-colored steering wheel, which I thought was not used after 1947.

post-32059-143141901317_thumb.jpg

post-32059-143141901326_thumb.jpg

post-32059-143141901334_thumb.jpg

post-32059-143141901343_thumb.jpg

Edited by Pete Phillips (see edit history)

Pete, great find. And, a very rare color, never seen one that color. Is all the plastic, or whatever you call it, ivory colored ? Is the engine a side mount or front mount ? '47 was the last front motor mount car. Paul