"MW" Lettered Hubcap

STAYGOLD

In the early part of the 20th century there were a lot of homes converted from using coal stoves to gas or electric. The house I lived in until age 7 (built 1865) had similar appearing discs mounted over the round 5-6" holes in the wall where the old coal stove vent pipe had been. These were commonly sold by many stores, sometimes with one side (meant for the interior) being quite decorative while the other was mundane. My first impression of this disc, given it's size and design, is that it could be one of these sold by Montgomery Wards, who used many similar trademarks during that period.

I don't know what it is from.

If it was a Motor Wheel jumbo type wheel, wouldn't it have more words on it like the other brands, for advertising?

I first thought of Montgomery Wards camping trailer or utility trailer, but I can't locate a similar MW logo.

the cap looks too fancy for a utility type trailer, but ok for a camping trailer?

I'm going with it being from a jumbo MW wheel, ca. early '30's. Whether or not that is correct, the cap, assuming it is in fact a hub cap, is a rare artifact indeed.

Jumbo wheel conversions weren't cheap in the depression years. Their use meant more expensive tires had to be obtained, and the change-over wasn't a common one.

The logo seems to have faded into obscurity. Motor Wheel Corp. (or its successor?) could be queried to confirm it was theirs. The brand still exists.

I'm going with it being from a jumbo MW wheel, ca. early '30's. Whether or not that is correct, the cap, assuming it is in fact a hub cap, is a rare artifact indeed.

Jumbo wheel conversions weren't cheap in the depression years. Their use meant more expensive tires had to be obtained, and the change-over wasn't a common one.

The logo seems to have faded into obscurity. Motor Wheel Corp. (or its successor?) could be queried to confirm it was theirs. The brand still exists.

It seems like without a doubt to me that this was a logo from Motor Wheel. Here is a link to the trademark: MW - Reviews & Brand Information - MOTOR WHEEL CORPORATION LANSING, MI - Serial Number: 71556646

yes, that must be what it is.

Good grief, it must be super rare if none of members have ever seen/heard of an MW airwheel, or perhaps a special sized wheel for aftermarket.

1. Yep.....made just like a lot of other caps from 1928-1932 with a steel buck and a skin.

..and 7-1/4" diameter, just like the ones I made for my nash. I'd bet they fit the same 6-5/8" hole.

I think it is for an adjustable spoke wire wheel, mainly due to the flat shape of the cap. Seems like it would look odd if mounted on a artillery spoked Jumbo type wheel.?

I'd like to try making some of those, as I would only need to change out one die plate in my tooling set-up.

This IS a long shot, but did any '30's aircraft have hubcaps? Maybe Wright-Martin?

Not sure about caps on airplanes....probably not, but with the "M" being the prominent letter, I would guess it's going to be "MW"...not "WM". Just a thought. And yes, I would also say not for a jumbo style wheel.

• 10 years later...