27 studebaker build

boojoe

Made progress today. started the motor this morning and on top of that I made my first bracket for the clutch linkage. I'm only about 4 months behind. Monday I order parts and start making the brackets for the pedals Then it will be on to the firewall and floors and the body will be last. Hope your concrete comes Monday

well today the electric co, the guy next door and myself met and talked about trimming the tree. we decided the tree is coming down! I volentiered to pay for the stump grinding. The guy from the electric co said I should have power by the end of next week!! I did manage to make progress on the car today. Made my templates for the firewall and floors and finished the clutch linkage. things are looking up. Parts from Studebaker inter. are on the way.

Today I have power !!! including a few pics of what I have .The parts came from stud inter but the clutch and bearing were wrong so they went back. Hopfully I get the right parts early next week Its nice having power, should be able to get back on track. notice I lowered the grill 4 inches, I think it looks a lot better. post-92822-143142676467_thumb.jpg

post-92822-143142676463_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Time for another update!! got the correct clutch in and the trans is hung. all the brackets for the pedals are in and painted. The driveshaft angle was a bit of a problem but I put angled shims between the axle and spring and it seems better.I'm going to have to order a gas tank and fuel lines soon. Today I worked on the shifter as it needed to be made longer.Tomorrow I'm hoping to complete the brake linkage. I'm planning on starting the body by the end of the month. I have a target date of april 2015,like to have it ready for the southeast Studebaker zone meet here in Spanish Fort. Will send more pics later this week.

Well heres the pics I promised. notice the wood instead of cardboard I don't like the looks of the shifter and I may change it . I have a few more things to think about then I will start the sheet metal. I need to do something with the e-brake as I can't reach it from the driving position. only minor progress this week.post-92822-143142717516_thumb.jpg

post-92822-143142717509_thumb.jpg

post-92822-143142717512_thumb.jpg

• 2 months later...

I haven't posted much so heres's whats happening!! The throttle linkage is done and the pedals . the framing for the body is welded in and the sheet metal is cut for the body. I almost welded the first half in today but decided to cut the other side first. Made it a lot easyer to get it lined up .The dashboard is welded in and I mounted the gauges.I will try to start wiring this week . I'm feeling better about this and maybe I can make my self imposed april deadline. Also the fuel tank and lines are mounted. PIcs to follow .

• 4 weeks later...

Update----- Wiring completed,gas tank mounted and fuel line in . Had to redo the shifter as it was to short . Going to try and get the radiator mounted tomorrow. Once I weld up the shifter I will weld in the other side of the body. Wife says I should work on siding the house one day a week ,That sounds reasonable.. Four days to work on the car .

• 4 weeks later...

Hey I haven't been here for a few weeks1 Work is progressing ,not as fast as I would like but nicely. I got the driveshaft back last Thursday and installed it today. As you can see the seats are in but I may move the driver seat closer to the steering.Ordered siding for the house ,should be here later this week!! Need to try getting the details finished and complete the body work! Will get my tubes and mount tires soon. Pics attachedpost-92822-143142959889_thumb.jpg

post-92822-143142959885_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Progress!!!! had the motor running today . started the body work and should be ready for paint next week. I need to move drivers seat and mount the tires , I only have a little over a month left till April . I've been working on my 65 wagonaire, Looks like I need a new gas tank.will order that next week. When will it end always something.

Guest Hudson33

Correct comment for sure

Just like home renovation, building a car has a beginning and middle but no end. Looks great, keep up the good work

Fred

• 2 weeks later...

I am a big fan of Speedsters, and would love to build one some day, I've only done restorations. Thank you so much for posting your work, what a transformation from what you dragged home! Nice work! I will be looking forward to seeing your progress.

Keith

• 2 weeks later...

My friend Brian came over yesterday and we managed to mount the tires and get it off the jack stands. Looks great!! We ran the motor but I think I need another carb. It appears this ones leaking fuel. Its pretty low even with the 21 in. tires.We used plastic bags to mount tires and it worked pretty good .Took 3 hours to do 4 tires!! Pics to follow Joey

• 1 month later...

I formed it over the firewall and a 3/4 square frame welded to angle iron bolted to the wood floor.It was hard to get the first part right!! The second piece was easyer. I formed it in two pieces a right and left side . I was going to use a stock hood but I'm thinking I my form my own>.The two halfs are welded together in the middle!

O K heres some pics I took to send to my brother!! I got the water pump but the guy at the gen. shop said he couldn' make it 12 volts so I may have to use an alternator. or buy an expensive make believe alternators. Looks like a generator. Trying not to cheap out now.Let me know what you think.post-92822-143143098369_thumb.jpg

post-92822-143143098363_thumb.jpg

post-92822-143143098366_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

I had my 6 volt, positive ground generator rebuilt for 12 volts, negative ground by Luna Industries in Tucson, AZ. They did a good job at a fair price. Of course, I haven't started anything up yet, but it should be fine. I think I need to give them a call to figure out what to use as a regulator now.

See http://www.lunaindustriesinc.com/generator.htm

I found that a generator or starter will fit in a US Postal Service flat rate box - the cheapest way to go for shipping heavy, small stuff cross country.

Edited by Gary_Ash (see edit history)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Today was the day!!! the car moved under its own power!!  The only minor issue is I can't seem to find reverse----- Anyone know the pattern for a Studebaker truck trans ?? Its a 4 speed.  The engine runs decent and has lots of power.   And the carb stopped leaking.  Soon as I figure out reverse its time for the test ride,or danger ride.

Today was the day!!! the car moved under its own power!!  The only minor issue is I can't seem to find reverse----- Anyone know the pattern for a Studebaker truck trans ?? Its a 4 speed.  The engine runs decent and has lots of power.   And the carb stopped leaking.  Soon as I figure out reverse its time for the test ride,or danger ride.

I would try moving the shifter right or left with a little bit harder force, then try going up or down. The four-speed on our 1930 Packard has reverse in the normal 1st position, 2nd is straight down, 3rd upper right, fourth lower right. The missing first gear (which many people are not even aware of) is hidden by pushing with more force to the left, then down.