27 studebaker build

boojoe

I thought maybe we were looking at external bands on the first pics, but that clearly looks like an unusual drum. I thought the lines were hydraulic going to the backing plates, you thinking they are cables? Those are huge drums... maybe off a later truck? I'm not sure if it's camera distortion or the way it really sits, but those wheels look to have a lot of camber.

I am using the original brakes, wood spoke wheels and stock hubs and bearings. The trans I'm using has an emergency brake on it. The Studebaker brakes are external shoes and the shoes and drums are in decent shape. I have rebuilt all the stock mechanical linkage and everything seems fine. Its pretty flat around here,so the brakes should be fine. ( famous last words)

Boojoe, I went back and looked carefully at your photos - it seems that your car didn't have front brakes, as was common on the 1925 vintage cars. Once less thing to have to work on.

Whtbaron, I don't know where the aluminum front drums came from that are on the other car, but they are probably specials/customs. I can see the towers on the front axle and the link arms for a rod or cable operated brake assembly, but these would be from a later car, maybe 1929-30, like a GE, GJ, or GL Dictator or Commander. It's a mutt, LOL!

I'm trying to watch Boojoe carefully to see how he is solving the issues on his car because it will help me with mine. Thanks for posting the photos and info.

Not knowing the price difference in the two cars but in contrast to your Studebaker the 1925 Chrysler I'm working on has front and rear external band hydraulic breaks. The car could also do 70Mph standard so the breaks make sense but I have got to hand it to Walter Chrysler he makes one fancy car.

• 4 weeks later...

O K guys ,I promised more pics !!The engine is just about mounted ,heres some shots of the mounts I made. I'm trying to get the rebuilt motor mounted so I can start it. The third pic is of the rear brake linkage. I had to raise the motor three in so the trans will clear the crossmember. Hope to finish this week and run it next week,the motor and trans are from a 52 pick-up,Im using the truck trans because itpost-92822-14314234673_thumb.jpg has an emergency brake on it .

post-92822-143142346722_thumb.jpg

post-92822-143142346727_thumb.jpg

The motor is a champion six,I think maybe 164 cu in !! the 46 motor had a bad bearing ,this motor was in better shape. I'm pretty well set now without cutting the frame. My plan is to someday put the original motor and trans back in.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi fellas, Today I finished mounting my wheels,put finishing touches on the motor and torqued the head!! Had to have a new drive put on the starter Looks like I'm going to start the motor soon. When I know it will run I can get the clutch back together and mount the trans. I decided to drop the radiator shell down 4 inches.The plan which as you can tell is fluid is to run a mustang radiator as it will fit in the lower shell.Once that is set I will start on the body and pedals. And shorten the driveshaft. I forgot my camera today so pics will come next week ..

Guest QGolden

Another option to the Mustang Radiator is a Radiator from a Ford 8N Tractor. It is shorter than a Model A (which is what my Speedster is made from), and it has a unique outlet pipe at the bottom with a Dogleg bend. The bend lets you set it in Front of the Crossmember on the Frame Horns (After you build a new crossmember on the bottom of the Frame Horns.) this moves the Radiator foward to lengthen the hood line, about 4 inches, and lowers the hood line as well. On mine I was able to lower the hood 4 inches without cutting down the Radiator shroud, so it is lower, yet full height. In the image you can see how the outlet bends up and then back.

post-88510-143142382916_thumb.jpeg

Edited by QGolden (see edit history)

• 1 month later...

Got myself a mustang radiator from o'reilly for about $100. Looks like I'll be able to use it,I'm lowering the stude radiator shell 4 inches. The radiator is for a v8 so the outlets on the pass side . I'm in the prosses of moving to a new house so I haven't worked on the car for three weeks. Hopfully I can get back to it week after next.I have also hired a contractor to put up my garage .Work should start in a week or two.

Got myself a mustang radiator from o'reilly for about $100. Looks like I'll be able to use it,I'm lowering the stude radiator shell 4 inches. The radiator is for a v8 so the outlets on the pass side . I'm in the prosses of moving to a new house so I haven't worked on the car for three weeks. Hopfully I can get back to it week after next.I have also hired a contractor to put up my garage .Work should start in a week or two.

Sucks to be sidelined! I'm doin the same thing, moving to a new house and putting up a new garage... i think i've spent all of 10 hours on my speedster in the last month. Be sure to have that contractor make the garage twice as big as you originally planned!

• 2 weeks later...

Mow?? I'm sampling water from snow melt and there's more snow in the forecast for this weekend. Do what I did, get yourself a JD garden tractor with the widest mower you can afford. You can go wider with tow behinds, but they get pricey so I don't have one of those yet. Talk to the local golf course grounds keeper and see what's getting traded off. We've got to get you out of the grass and back to work on that car!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys, The house is coming along fine. The wife is going to nola with her nieces Tuesday!! looks like I get a few days to work on the Studebaker. Hopefully I can get it started and lower the radiator shell.I haven't worked on it in about a month.I think the contracter will be doing the site work next week. Can't wait for it to be done!!

Got a whole day working on the Studebaker!! Lowerd the grill shell 4 inches,it looks great. I tried to start the motor but the 6 volt batt has no balls ,I'm rethinking this and may go to 12 volts The batt I have doesn't spin the starter fast enough to engage fly-wheel.It works great on my crosley and that's where its staying. Back to work at the house tomorrow,time to mow again.

Hello Gary, Do you have any other particulars about the baby blue Studebaker speedster in the pictures? I can't determine if the chassis is from the earlier Studebaker or a bit later than 1927. The Rad. looks like '29 or '20? Nice work on your project. I am still moving along but slowly on my Studebaker racer project. I am anxious to see your chassis up and rolling.

Alan

• 3 weeks later...
I tried to start the motor but the 6 volt batt has no balls ,I'm rethinking this and may go to 12 volts The batt I have doesn't spin the starter fast enough to engage fly-wheel.It works great on my crosley and that's where its staying.

Are you using 6V starter cables? 12V cables are too light and have too much resistance - they will get warm when you try to start the motor.

• 1 month later...

Yep, time flies when you're having fun. I noticed in my last post I wasn't mowing grass yet, but now it wants to be cut every 3 days! Your garage looks great... what's the dimensions? Will it have a heating system? Keeping them from filling up with junk is a constant chore, and it happens before you are even finished.

My 30x36 has 6 inch walls to get the insulation value up, insulated door, and will include electric in floor heat. Pushes my price tag up over the $50k mark and there's nothing fancy about it. Metal siding, metal roof, one door, 2 windows.

Yea... they sure eat into your project money. I'm afraid my electric installation bill will be that plus the heating system as well. I need to pour some more concrete and get it in before winter. No termites up here, but keeping the mice under control is a constant chore. They can do a lot of damage in an insulated building too.

• 4 weeks later...

O k ,its almost time to get working again. Its been three months since I did any serious work on this car .The electrition will be here in the morning to start the shop wiring.I still have to move the rest of my junk out of the rental garage. I have till aug. first. Today I had to mow the lawn. that toke all afternoon.Tomorrow its do the trimming before it rains. Allways something to do !!!!!

Well the electric is in!! Today I moved two crosleys. I managed to get it done before the rain. Tomorrow I will move the 25 Studebaker and tues my friend will help move the large sandblast cab and the big compressor , Lets see , two more workbenches two motors and two trans!! almost done. I spent yesterday attemting to organize.

• 2 weeks later...

O.K. everything is in ,but of course I've reached a bump in the road.. The electric co said I need another pole and some tree trimming . They said its only going to be around $2100. Gag me with a spoon!!! Hopefully we can get this taken care of by the end of next week. Allways something.