1928 Steering box

• 3 weeks later...

If you don't mind my asking, what is wrong with the box you have? It looks to be a Gemmer box similar to that on my 1925 B-70 Chrysler. When I got the car it was impossible to turn the steering wheel because the box was so tight. It turned out that the only problem was the input bearing to the box that was made of pot metal which had swelled tight around the steering shaft. A new bearing turned from bronze solved the problem and the box works fine. You may get lucky also. If the Model 50 is anything like the B-70, the biggest source of problems with the car is related to the various bits made from pot metal - generator brush housing, carb, switches, speedometer housing, door handles, etc., etc. I'm sure it seemed like a good idea at the time.

Thanks for the reply. I have changed all the bushings and bearings (which helped a bit) but it's must have had a hard life as the worm gear and the pittmun arm are worn beyond repair.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
Thanks for the reply. I have changed all the bushings and bearings (which helped a bit) but it's must have had a hard life as the worm gear and the pittmun arm are worn beyond repair.

I know this is an old thread, but where did you get the bearings and bushings for your steering box? I have a 1924/25 Maxwell with a very similar gemmer steering box and need parts. Thanks.

Not totally sure about the '28 setup, but my horn button screwed off, a couple of screws below that released the plates above the spark advance and throttle plates, had to then disconnect the shafts of the throttle and spark advance mechanism at the steering box; had to use a puller and some heat to remove steering wheel once the nut was removed (note - would not come off with just puller alone, once puller was on tension, I heated carefully with a torch for about 30s and it popped off)

Guest clay diggs

thanks for the help on the steering wheel, some how i overlooked the small tube.after i got the plates and shafts out i put a bearing separator under the steering wheel and the used a puller to remove the wheel.it took some pressure, but it came off good. now how do i get the worm and shaft out of the box? clay

Edited by clay diggs (see edit history)