Got a story of a car you "loved & lost" or sold? And found...years later? Share it for my book!

Guest jeffg1010

Guest jeffg1010

[TABLE=class: tborder, width: 100%, align: center]

<tbody>[TR]

[TD=class: alt1, bgcolor: #F5F5F5]Hey guys, I am new to the forum... but thought I'd share...

#96 on my bucket list (yep, I have an official one) is to write a book. But, when I first put it on there, I had no idea where the content would come from. But while digging through some old photos at my parents house, the idea dawned on me.

I grew up in WV when coal mining was taking a dive. So, needless to say, we saw some tough economic times.

My dad was a car guy and he was always hauling home some rusty worn out car to build. As I grew up I learned a lot about car restoration and I saw many beautiful transformations in our driveway. However, it never failed, every couple of years, my dads company would close, or lay off. And the dreaded "For Sale" sign would come out in an effort to pay for a trip to the Beach, or Christmas toys. Even in tough times, our parents didn't want us to feel we were going without. And no car was safe, my mom still tells stories of me standing in the driveway crying as the '64 Nova SS drove off, or the '56 Bel Air... I grew up on American muscle.

Unfortunately for my dad, we have no clue as to the fate of his old cars. They have disappeared into our memories and the only remaining artifact is a few Polaroid photos.

So... tell me some of your stories. I have an ISBN with a publisher to author a book titled "The Ones That Got Away". The project draft is already registered and my first draft is due by November 1st.

The book will be a compilation of stories from folks who had classic cars that "got away" and they were able to locate them years later. I am looking for unique twists. Finding the car is crucial to the plot of these stories. I could fill novels with stories of guys who "wish they knew where that car is", but I want to hear the stories where the car has been located (YEARS LATER), the more twisted the plot, the better. And it is even BETTER if you now own it ... again!

Share them with me here on the forum or (if you'd prefer) email it to me at jeffg1010@yahoo.com. Please send me a description of the story and give as much detail as possible. I will be especially interested in details of the search to uncover the mystery of "where it is now".

These don't have to be stories related to any particular class of car (American, Import, Car, Truck, Motorcycle!). And if you know someone with a good story, feel free to refer this to them to follow up.

[/TD]

[/TR]

</tbody>[/TABLE]

This is a great way to get your story told! I've already received a request for a second book which is focused more on trucks. SO, share!

Thanks

Jeff Goddard

Mooresville, NC

I am in a club with a guy who has traced down and repurchased almost every car his family ever owned. I don't remember how many but probably about 15 or so. He never drives them, they sit in a pole barn. I have seen pictures of them. He will never(despite my many requests) write or even tell the story of how he did it.

Guest jeffg1010
I am in a club with a guy who has traced down and repurchased almost every car his family ever owned. I don't remember how many but probably about 15 or so. He never drives them, they sit in a pole barn. I have seen pictures of them. He will never(despite my many requests) write or even tell the story of how he did it.

WOW.... man, what I would do to have an hour to talk to that guy. What kind of cars are in his collection? I would LOVE to track down my dads old cars. (and I would need a pole barn!)

Will you do me a favor and at least mention my project to him? I won't share his secrets, I'd just like to let other folks hear his story. For every one successful car story I've uncovered, I've got a dozen guys and gals who've hit total dead ends. His story would be an inspiration to many.

I will keep his personal info (name, town, etc) anonymous to protect the security of his collection. (I had to try!!! Never say never!!!)

Thanks!

Jeff Goddard

Mooresville, NC

jeffg1010@yahoo.com

704-239-5553

Find us on Facebook: The Ones That Got Away

Guest jeffg1010
I will when I see him but it might be a while. He and his wife attend Club events sporadically at best and my attendance this year might be that way as will. I will let you know if I am successful

Either way. Thanks for the potential lead!

Guest jeffg1010

We have a website being built that will be launched in late Summer to promote the book, but in the meantime... please like us on Facebook.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Ones-That-Got-Away/569402729757456

If you have a car/truck/motorcycle that is still "missing" please upload the photo to the Facebook page and we will promote it for you. Or, email it to me at jeffg1010@yahoo.com with "Facebook photo" as the subject and I will list it in the "Ones That Got Away" album. Ya never know!!!

• 7 months later...
Guest jeffg1010

Another bump for my thread. Still looking for good stories. Work got in the way a little, but I've got a new job that requires no travel, so I am ramping up my search again for good stories.

Thanks

Jeff

info@theygotaway.com

Website is now live!

http://www.theygotaway.com/

Like us on Facebook

https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Ones-That-Got-Away/569402729757456

• 8 months later...
Guest jeffg1010
I will when I see him but it might be a while. He and his wife attend Club events sporadically at best and my attendance this year might be that way as will. I will let you know if I am successful

Did you ever touch base with this guy? I'd love to talk to him for a little bit.

Anybody else have a story to tell?