Over heating issue

brushF26

Got my engine running for the first time in 55 years and it seems to over heat pretty quickly. Has a new Brassworks radiator core. Any suggestions on what radiator fluid works best ( currently using Red Line Water Wetter) or what may be causing the over heating

post-90871-143141867799_thumb.jpg

My first recomendation would be to check the ignition timing. Running with the spark retarded will heat it up very quickly.

Do you replace the piston and rings? Replacing the rings will create enough friction to cause overheating until they beak in.

The type of coolant shouldn't make that big of a difference.

Thanks for the info Chris. I believe the timing is good but will check it again. I don't get any knocking or backfiring and engine sounds like it is running pretty smoothly but I have never heard a Brush engine run before so I don't have anything to compare it to. Engine was rebuilt so I am sure everything has to break in.Will keep you posted. Thankspost-90871-143141871199_thumb.jpg

With a thermo-siphon cooling system the water level has to be at its fullest. When the engine was rebuilt were the water ports and chambers totally cleaned and flushed? Mine had scale and debris that had to be chipped out. Timing is a big cause of overheating as mentioned earlier. I am curious about the dual spark plugs. Do they both fire, or is one a backup if needed? Are you burning regular gas with no ethanol? Also, a few Brush owners use the NH straight through carb to avoid rich setting on a 5-ball. Better airflow mixture they told me. If you want to hear a Brush running check out the video of the 1908 posted earlier. Good luck

Thanks for the great info. The water level is at it's fullest and the ports and chambers were all cleaned out. When running the fluid comes out the over flow but is not boiling over. The top tank of the radiator seems to be exceedingly hotter than the lower tank of the radiator almost to the point that the lower tank seems to be the same temperature as before the engine is even started so I am wondering now if I have an air pocket somewhere in the water ports /chambers in the engine that now may be restricting the thermo syphon system from working the way it should. The second sparkplug is for the magneto. I had the Kingston 4-ball carb that was original to the car rebuilt by Stan Howe ( new precision weight balls, Teflon seals , etc.- and I would highly recommend him ) and it worked perfectly with the first crank of the engine. It does seem to be running pretty rich so I wonder if that may be a cause of the over heating. post-90871-143141874389_thumb.jpg

Running lean causes overheating. I would stick a hose in the water inlet on the block and see if it flows strong out of the outlet. If the flow is ok I would start and run it gently for a while and let things limber up as they used to say.

Appreciate the helpful info. Definitely going to put some time this weekend into figuring out the over heating . I am anxious to drive it down the road but certainly want to be sure all is good before I do . I think with all the helpful info from my original question that I am close to my first test drive. I will post an update on any progress. post-90871-143141880617_thumb.jpg

How did it turn out? Is it still overheating?

The first picture appears to have a cylinder repair at the 2250D casting location. If this repair was brazed, sometimes the brazing material can run inside the repair area and could restrict some of the water flow. The original freeze plugs on mine were steel, and they rusted into place causing mine to crack also.

Good luck.

Still running hot. The cylinder does have a repair to it, really have no idea when the repair was done . Short of placing some kind of small flexible plumber's camera into the ports I am not sure how to check the flow of water other than to use a garden hose and gauge the flow out vs. the flow in . Going to make slight adjustments to carburetor as I think it is running a little too rich causing a lot of carbon build up and maybe adjusting the carb may make it run cooler. If I can find time this weekend I will work on it again. Will update if I make progress. Thanks for all the help. post-90871-143141889714_thumb.jpg