1928 model 62 Phaeton

How does one identify it as a 62 or a 72? from my understanding they both had a 6 cyl.

The 62 has a 109" wheelbase. The 72 has a 120.5" wheelbase. The 62 has no side cowl vents. The 72 has side cowl vents. Hopefully, these bits of information will help. If you post a photo or two of your car, we can probably tell you more about it. John

post-37352-143141867778_thumb.jpg

post-37352-143141867789_thumb.jpg

The Model 62 had a smaller 6 cyl. motor 180.2 C.I., the Model 72 had a 248.9 C.I 6 cyl.

The steering wheel is difficult but the controls are harder to come by.

The serial number is on the center of the dash, or on some export cars it is on the frame in front of the cowl.

The head # is correct for the Model 60 & 62 and it would not be a Continental engine.

here is the link on the car I will be picking up .Chrysler : Other yes in Chrysler | eBay Motors

That car looks more like a 1927 Model 60 according to my books. I got those photos from "The 70 Years of Chrysler"....one of my books. The little side light/reflector between the doors, the headlamps and other things lead me to believe it is a 1927 Model 60.

post-37352-143141868495_thumb.jpg

Edited by keiser31 (see edit history)

I can not see in the photos where a Fedco plate on the dash would be.

I just noticed that I don't see it, either. Also...those disk wheels are odd for a Chrysler product.

Actually this appears to be an early 26 Model 60. The dash was changed in mid 26. This was Chryslers first low priced 6 but still has 7 main bearings. I have one of these and there is another in Iowa. Not common, best driving "old" car I have. Light, nimble, comfortable. A number of the pieces will remind you of a series 58 Chrysler 4, ie:dash, steering wheel, controls in the center of the wheel. The standard wheels on this series has 6 lugs and clamps on the wheels and rims, the laters had 4. The disc wheels are a neat available option, not commonly seen in the states. Alot easier to clean tho....Rob hattiesgarage@comcast.net

Actually this appears to be an early 26 Model 60. The dash was changed in mid 26. This was Chryslers first low priced 6 but still has 7 main bearings. I have one of these and there is another in Iowa. Not common, best driving "old" car I have. Light, nimble, comfortable. A number of the pieces will remind you of a series 58 Chrysler 4, ie:dash, steering wheel, controls in the center of the wheel. The standard wheels on this series has 6 lugs and clamps on the wheels and rims, the laters had 4. The disc wheels are a neat available option, not commonly seen in the states. Alot easier to clean tho....Rob hattiesgarage@comcast.net

Stop looking for the FEDCO plate. From the photos the car doesn't have one. The FEDCO plate should be on the far left of the dash. The photo attached is for a Chrysler 70 I think but the 60 will look the same. If there ever was one there will be an indentation in the dash and two holes where the rivets attached.

To me the car is an early 1926 Chrysler 60. The FEDCO system came sometime in 1926 but it wasn't until late 1926 that Canadian built cars started installing the plates. Some export models did not recieve the plates until 1927. From my understanding FEDCO was a private company which charged Chrysler for each plate installed. So if the country of destination did not require them, then they weren't installed. There may also be a body plate found between the passenger side door and the front seat nailed to the floor.

post-41873-143141872079_thumb.jpg

post-41873-143141872082_thumb.jpg

post-41873-143141872085_thumb.jpg

After looking again at the photos the motor number may be on the front just up from the generator towards the water pump on the chain case.

This along with the head number would make it a very early Model 60.

The head has had some major welding done to it

Well we have a motor number H37717 and on a seperate tag is H166 then in another area it reads CWC565 29-3 Now time to decipher these. Looks to be a model 60, not sure what other info can be had from the numbers.

My book calls that engine number out as a 1927 Model 60. Engine numbers for the 60 go from H21001 and go to H72800 in 1927.

From what I found posted on this site, back in January it was stated from the engine number this would be 1926 model? Is there a clear concensous 26 or 27?

Here you go...your engine number falls here.

post-37352-143141873267_thumb.jpg

Thanks Keiser, great information, I think we have a positive ID as it being a 1927 Model 60 (at least from the engine number). I noticed the article stated serial numbers were in the same location, what location would that be without a FEDCO plate?

Here is the information for the 1924 and is supposedly carried through to your year...pay no attention to the numbers listed here. It was common to put the number on the side of the frame over the front spring perch on the driver's side rear spring.

post-37352-143141874449_thumb.jpg

Now I am curious on why this right hand drive car supposedly made in detroit is here in the US, maybe the owner was mistaken telling me it was made in Detroit. maybe it was made in Canada and never shipped overseas, no Fedco plate or evidence of one, bum deal?

Here is the information for the 1924 and is supposedly carried through to your year...pay no attention to the numbers listed here. It was common to put the number on the side of the frame over the front spring perch on the driver's side rear spring.

Would that be the same number as the FEDCO number?

The Model 60s were introduced as a mid 1926 Model.

The early cars had the engine number on the chain case and by mid run they moved the number to the upper left side.

Chrysler would make changes through out the Model production run that makes a challenge when looking for parts.

Many states and countries would title the car as the year it was first sold further complicating things.

I doubt that any right hand drive cars would come out of Detroit. They would be too busy keeping up supply for the US market. IMO the fact that the steering wheel is on that side means that it is Canadian built.

When manufactured, the car would have had a data plate on it somewhere, but there is no guarantee that the plate is still there.