Our continued...slow...progress!

If the color you have decided to use on the wheels is the color you found somewhere on the Dodge; then indeed you're performing a "TRUE" restoration!!!! Just my thoughts on the subject. Nothing wrong with adding a bunch of accessorys, painting it whatever - but likely not how it left the factory, right??

Hi Willys77.....because of the history of the car that we know & knowing the previous owners (granddaughter of the original owner), we have made the decision to restore the car as close to original as we can. We have the build sheet from Chrysler Archives so the colors that have been chosen were what the car was originally painted. Or at least as close to that color as we can get. And we are going by what the car has told us as it's never been touched. I don't know if you can call it a "True" restoration as we have had to use some non-OEM parts on the car! People will laugh when they hear some of the brands we've made use of! Mainly for gaskets or seals, but still...they are unlikely brands!

Anyways, thank you for the encouragement. It is nice to be making forward progress!

Shannon

• 3 months later...

Thanks Ian! I'm looking forward to the rolling chassis too! ;) We just received some more parts from Meyers that will go a long ways towards our continued progress! Brakes are done.....well sort of....we have a few minor leaks to deal with that are bugging the hell out of Dennis! :mad: We have rubber for the wheels which were a treat to put on the split rims! Now we understand why our split rims are as banged up as they are! Once we can get a hold of the commercial sewing machine that we are going to borrow, I'm going to start work on the interior. We just have to wait for the snow to melt....some day....soon.....I hope....if Old Man Winter will let it.... I've already talked with our local upholstery guy and he gave me a lot of instructions on what to do and I'll be ordering a lot of stuff from him. Trying to keep it local!

Dennis and Shannon,

Your restoration looks great. I'm restoring a 1932 Dodge Brothers DL and reading of your successes and problems certainly hits home - been there, done that. I was wondering where you got the paint you used on the transmission. The color looks very much like the traces of paint I have found on my power-train parts. Was it a special mix you had made up or a good old spray can job? Either way, it looks terrific. (I'm sure you're aware of the missing bolt on the top transmission to bell-housing mounting hole.) I can only hope mine ends up looking that good.

RT

Thanks, Taylormade- The trans was just a rattlecan job...I hate to mention the paint color name (Me being an old Dodge guy)...#DE 1611 New Ford Gray....It is Dupli-Color engine enamel...I figured maybe it would hold up better against oil leaks, etc, plus one less spray gun cleaning....

So...Since we were able to get the wheels on the car, we decided to take the frame of the snowmobile table it's been on for almost 2 years now. Well....it almost went fatally wrong, but we managed. We almost had the rear wheels come off the "wheel chalks", almost had it tip over a few times. It took a few hours and a few "Oh Sh*^!!" 's before we were able to get the wheels on the dolly's so we can roll the frame around the garage now. Here are some photos of our adventure today! Shannon

post-77540-1431424571_thumb.jpg

post-77540-143142456665_thumb.jpg

post-77540-143142456695_thumb.jpg

post-77540-143142456715_thumb.jpg

post-77540-143142456741_thumb.jpg

post-77540-143142456779_thumb.jpg

post-77540-143142457066_thumb.jpg

The pin striping on it's wheels is original and you can clearly see by the round ends of the strip that they were done with a stencil.

I have a fuzzy recollection of seeing an accessory bulletin or pamphlet or similar, probably about Chevrolets (my first old car was a '36 Chev), that showed a pinstriping kit. My recollection is that it looked like an airbrush, with guides. An air brush would make similar round ends to the stripes. Now this is from about 1979 when I was a wee bit younger and probably slightly more ignorant, so I am probably completely wrong and Dave completely correct. Thinking further, I suppose such a kit could be for aftermarket additions or repairs and the stencil could be the factory system. Dealers may also have added pinstripes to customers' new cars using such a kit.

Keep up the good work. I like the helper in the chassis-lowering exercise with her hands in her pockets!:)

Thanks for the info Spinneyhill!

John.....yeah, we learned really quick it wasn't the brightest way to go about it! When we had the tie down strap on the front end, we were reminded of a story my husband had told earlier of having had one of his motorcycles hanging from that same hook & raised the garage, forgetting he had the motorcycle hanging. The door basically knocked his bike to the floor, breaking the front fairing. Needless to say, we changed things up before raising the garage door this time!! We could just imagine things going epically wrong!!

Thanks for the encouragement! Today was a momentous day! :D

Shannon

Thanks, Taylormade- The trans was just a rattlecan job...I hate to mention the paint color name (Me being an old Dodge guy)...#DE 1611 New Ford Gray....It is Dupli-Color engine enamel...I figured maybe it would hold up better against oil leaks, etc, plus one less spray gun cleaning....

Are you painting the engine the same color?

Ian......you are so right! Dennis and I were talking about just that earlier. It really is nice to have things clean so if we need to adjust something....we can find it and be able to adjust it!! Once we get the engine cleaned up...then we'll be totally done with the muck!! Yeah!! Thanks for the encouragement!

Shannon

• 2 weeks later...

It's finally warming up a little here in the Upper Peninsula, and things are starting to turn green- Inside the garage as well as outside!

post-97557-143142474576_thumb.jpg

It took a little cleaning and sanding, but we found evidence that the gas tank was also part of the all-green, hosed-down, original paint job...

post-97557-143142474657_thumb.jpg

It's finally warming up a little here in the Upper Peninsula, and things are starting to turn green- Inside the garage as well as outside!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]243718[/ATTACH]

It took a little cleaning and sanding, but we found evidence that the gas tank was also part of the all-green, hosed-down, original paint job...

[ATTACH=CONFIG]243726[/ATTACH]

Fuel tank and chassis were painted separately originally, that confirms you vehicle had a novice restoration at one point during its 80 plus years but by all means keep hosing away.

There is also a strong possibility that at one point of its lifetime it had collision damage and all this green you are seeing is over spray made by someone that couldnt be bothered to take the time to get it right , who knows.

Looking pretty good, not 100% authentic but Im sure the majority will never know the difference and you do not seem too concerned with getting it completely original anyway.

Edited by 1930 (see edit history)

Jason, I'm not going to argue with you. You don't know the history of the car that we know. And I have talked with other club members about my car. It's not a matter of not being concerned with it being completely original. You don't know the painstaking decisions we've had to make regarding what colors need to be where. It may not be perfect, but can anyone say their car is completely original and 100% correct? Not unless it's a car that has never been touched at all. What's the saying...if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all.

Oh, and Thank You to the club members that have personally emailed me regarding our car with your knowledge, suggestions and insight! We have greatly appreciated the help you all have been!

Shannon

Here are some words of encouragement Dennis and Shannon. You are doing a fantastic job. I fully understand the amount of time it takes to do the investigating concerning "originality". Especially knowing the history that you do. (BTW, that story will be very interesting once it is all compiled and told.) Plus, you yourselves are adding quite a piece of history to this vehicle as you go. So respecting the background like you have is very admirable and keeping track of what you are doing, like you are, will be extra special to those in the future!

Can't wait to see the finished product!

Jason, I'm not going to argue with you. You don't know the history of the car that we know. And I have talked with other club members about my car. It's not a matter of not being concerned with it being completely original. You don't know the painstaking decisions we've had to make regarding what colors need to be where. It may not be perfect, but can anyone say their car is completely original and 100% correct? Not unless it's a car that has never been touched at all. What's the saying...if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all.

Oh, and Thank You to the club members that have personally emailed me regarding our car with your knowledge, suggestions and insight! We have greatly appreciated the help you all have been!

Shannon

Shannon, glad that your not going to argue with me, if you re-read my post above I stated I thought you were doing a good job/ commended you on the work thus far, I also offered my opinion on some facts you had posted concerning conclusions you had made with the paint.

I am not always right and look forward to being proven otherwise. In this case I have brochures for 1929/30 Dodge, original stuff that details ( to some small extent ) the original factory procedures that these cars underwent when they were being manufactured. Are these absolutely conclusive in that this was the process your own vehicle underwent? No, and I do look forward to being corrected.

This is an open discussion forum and I will continue to offer my opinions and what facts I am able to offer.

Edited by 1930 (see edit history)

• 2 weeks later...

post-77540-143142494008_thumb.jpg

So, we've continued with our work. We brought the body over to the house garage to work on removing the interior and other parts we had left on it. We had our body guy over to look things over and for him to be able to get a game plan together. He says in about 1 to 2 weeks he'll be ready to start work. So, that meant we had that much time to strip it down. Good Lord what a mess that was. I don't think I'll be able to feel like I'm breathing clean air for a while!

First photo is after we took the roof of and pretty much all the interior pieces are out. The second picture we found this little tag tacked on the support post between the passenger side front and rear doors. One side has what I believe to be the numbers 3016. The other side is stamped with the letter "A". Interesting to find. No idea what they mean!

Enjoy!

Shannon

post-77540-143142493935_thumb.jpg

post-77540-143142493962_thumb.jpg

post-77540-143142493982_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Well, another big day for us in the restoration- We just got back from delivering the body to our paint guy. While we were there, the sandblasting guy showed up with his compressor, so hopefully they can get the main part of the body blasted outdoors Monday (weather permitting) Radiator shroud is at Atlantic Coast Plating getting chromed, and we will be boxing up more to ship this week. We had almost the entire car in the 24X24 garage for a few weeks now, and today with the body gone, it will be a lot easier to make some progress with the remaining chassis work....

Not a problem on the photos, rather lack ther of. All the photos that you've posted have been great as it shows just how nice your project is coming along and the amount of detail work is being put into it. I've no question, using the photo history so far, that the end product will look great and it will be a Dodge a lot of people will be proud to own and drive. Besides, we're all pretty much a patient bunch of observers here anyway. Scott...

Thanks Scott! Here are a few of the photos from the move. One from our house, one at the body shop waiting for Lou to open the garage door. It was kid of bittersweet to take the body over there. We've been waiting for months for him to say he was ready for it that it was a bit surreal to actually take it over there! Oh, the reason Dennis is looking at the back end of the body is because all the wood underneath that corner had shifted the last corner he took! Any further and we would have had issues!! Thankfully we made it there!

post-77540-143142521374_thumb.jpg

post-77540-143142521348_thumb.jpg

So, after we got the car out of our garage at the house, we started looking over the things that we pulled out. One of the was this dash piece. I didn't realize that if you looked at the backside of the piece, it was a blue. Now, you have to understand...John Bittence's large book of info says that our car, being built July of 1928, should be Ambassador Blue. That was the color they were doing at the time of our car's construction. But according to our inspection sheet we received from the Chrysler Archives, Calgary Green is the color of our car. The interesting thing is that the color code used is actually used for the Sport Sedan. We've talked with John about our car. He's only thought for our car being out of color sequence is that either the family ordered it this color or the dealership had. Unfortunately, Susan's father is no longer alive to ask if he knew if his parents had ordered the car the green.

post-77540-143142521422_thumb.jpg

post-77540-143142521398_thumb.jpg

Spy shots are good too, actually any progress shots that can be taken and shared are great. You have to realize that although we all are a bunch of spectators we are also can be a really good cheer team. I can do the rah, rah with all the rest, just don't ask me to do the splits. Oh, and thanks for the photos. Scott...