CLUB NEWS

jeff_a

Peerless Motor Car Club will have a meet, show and tour in Michigan this August in conjunction with the annual Pierce-Arrow Gathering At Gilmore, held every year at The Gilmore Car Museum near Kalamazoo. There will be a 120-mile tour --- a 110-mile tour --- dinners --- private collection visits --- and a show. Official dates are the 23rd to 25th. A very detailed 2-page application has been mailed out for the joint meet. Contact Person from Pierce-Arrow Society: Dave Stevens in MI at:#(231) 894-2281, or #(231) 740-6610 (cellular); or PMCC Event Chairman David Baird in CA: #(949) 795-4151.

David Baird owns a Peerless Model 19 Seven-Passenger Touring Car that's over 100 years old, and was saying that the 3rd Peerless Annual National Meet might be in the Eastern U.S. in 2015. *** [Please see Post #10] ***

The first edition of a new version of the news letter, called The Co-Operator, will be coming in April. New version to be a quarterly magazine. David says will be sent to "previous and active members and to Peerless owners with addresses from previous mailing lists". Second edition already underway: contact Publisher/Editor Lis Nichols at #(714) 964-5573 {e-mail: lisnichols@socal.rr.com} if you have a photo or article you want to get in there. Not that many Peerless owners or Peerless Motor Car Club members use the Peerless Forum on a regular basis, that I know of, but here's your chance to get your word in. PMCC President Richard Lichtfeld has always said that there ought to be 200 members in this club...rather than just 75 (the biggest we have gotten), so there's lots of room for growth!

-----Jeff Brown

Edited by jeff_a
update (see edit history)

I asked Dave Stevens if there is any way someone from the Peerless Motor Car Club could join all the activities of The Gathering and while they were there, indicate that their Peerless was for sale. There is no car corral or auction as one can find at the annual Hershey AACA Meet, but during the show on the grounds of the Pierce-Arrow Museum at The Gilmore Museum on Sunday, it would be O.K. to have a sign on the front seat of the car saying it was for sale. Please, no For Sale signs on windows.

Would it be easier to sell a car here on the AACA Forums? Yes. This is primarily a get-together to see and be around Pierce-Arrows and Peerlesses, based at one of the finest antique automobile museum complexes in North America. Not only are buying and selling things not a focus during the 3 1/2 days, there is no venue for that at all.

I'm not trying to discourage anyone from taking a Peerless to this event...or to sell a car there[by word-or-mouth or putting a placard on the front seat]. Those of us who go will be guests at another club's gathering and I don't want anyone to get any incorrect notions. There will be two tours for the Pierce-Arrows and Peerlesses, private car collections to see, public car collections to see, meals, and a low-key car show...but no swaps/sales areas/auctions. I think that's great: I couldn't afford to buy any of the motor cars on this tour, but I could afford to look at them!

Edited by jeff_a
additional paragraph (see edit history)

• 2 months later...

We are looking forward to the Peerless--Pierce-Arrow meet at the Gilmore Museum on August 23 - 25th. I have had some heart problems this year that has slowed me down some but if all goes well we will be there with our 1916 Peerless touring. My 1917 Peerless went to the upholstery shop this week for a new top and side curtains. I saw a Pierce-Arrow touring a couple of years ago that had clear plastic for side curtains that seemed to work good. It's not original but the visibility is much better than the original and that is what I am going to use. I don't like touring in the rain but sometimes we get caught. My '16 has the original curtains (restored) but visibility is bad with the curtains on and I don't put them up on the drivers front. I would rather get wet than crash. I hope we will have a good turn out of Peerless cars. I want to be able to bring my display of Peerless stuff to put on display. I am getting a lot of heat about going that week because it is my wives birthday and also our cities birthday and my wife is chairperson of the festival. As president of the Peerless Club I have to be at Gilmore, so we have been shifting around a lot of events and dates to make it happen. You Peerless owners have to help me out, I will catch hell if few Peerless show up, shift your dates around and be there so I can show my wife how important it is for us to be there. See you at Gilmore!!!! Richard Lichtfeld

• 2 months later...

I was talking to Club President Richard Lichtfeld this morning and he and Event/Membership Chairman David Baird decided to hold the 2014 Peerless Meet in Wisconsin. More details TBA as to region/dates/activities. RHL is very up on what places are good to include for antique auto events.

The Peerless Motor Car Club will have a booth at Hershey this year. That will make 6 years in a row, though this is a new location. All interested in the Peerless Motor Car Company welcome to drop by, of course, whether Peerless owners or not!

Edited by jeff_a
Hershey Location (see edit history)

• 4 weeks later...

Did anyone go to the Peerless booth at Hershey this year? Did anyone find any Peerless stuff? I understand it was wet on Friday and Saturday but that is not unusual. I have gone to Hershey for 40 plus years and it was normal for rain and much mud. The most profits were made by the tow trucks. What is happening to Hershey? I understand that they have moved most of their chocolate production to Mexico. RHL

I went there. Of course, I worked at the booth WED, THU, and FRI. David Baird did also. Lots of people dropped by. Started west from Hershey Sunday morning, went by car to Altoona train station, headed west from there at 5:00 PM Monday. Not home yet...as it's quite a drive from the airport in W. Idaho to my house in E. Idaho(total: 10 hours by train, 15 hours by plane, 10 hours by car)...still en route by car.

Edited by jeff_a
message sent from a library computer, not a text message while driving (see edit history)

Richard,

Since no one has responded to your questions about the The Peerless Motor Car Club booth, I'll try to report what I saw. David Baird and I had a big tent with a 1909 Peerless Model 19 and a 1917 Pierce-Arrow Model 48 parked inside. David's brother Dayne helped out, too, as well as Matt Lynch for a while. We had a lot of chairs and tables for folks to sit down at and most of the Peerless reference works I have. We had some posters of the 1st Annual Peerless Meet....and some banners showing the 1932 Peerless V-16 Prototype.

The booth was at the Orange Field at Hershey (OBM 2,3,4) right next to the NW point of the big Car Corral area, so close you could have reached several of its cars with a wet sock tossed out of our 30'x30' tent. Did I mention that it rained (9.45" on Thursday and Friday)? Club members and people who should be club members* whom I saw at the booth included:

1. Mark Desch, MN.......................................1931 Custom 8

2. Matt Lynch, NY........................................1931 Custom 8

3. Cengiz and Ata Arsay, Turkey.....................1928 6-80

4. Gord and Fannie Linkletter, Canada..............1931 Master Eight Sport Coupe

5. Alex Watt, CA..........................................an early car

6. Dave Longstreth..................................... considering purchasing an early Peerless

7. Ralph Cartonio, ME................................... has 10 Peerlesses between '21 and '32

8. Charles Stewart, NY..................................1929 Peerless Sedan

9. Johannus Dagevos, The Netherlands.............1929 6-61 Sedan

10. Mike Ciobanu, NY......................................1927 6-90 Roadster (from Myron Sterner Collection)

11. Hans Peter Nielsen, Denmark.......................1917 Mod. 56 Touring Car(I originally thought to be in Sweden), 1925 8-67 7-P Sedan(1st year equipoised V-8)

12. Dave Noran, PA........................................1928 8-69 Boat Tail(1 of 362 8-69s built for 1928)

13. Vince McLaughlin, PA................................1928 Peerless Sedan w/ fitted trunk

14. Davin Reckow(one of the people

from Hagerty Insurance).................................1917 Peerless Speedster(ex-John Hollansworth)

During the Wednesday, Thursday and Friday I had a few breaks from working the booth. I was hoping Club Members Brando and Joanne from Pistorius Restorations would stop by. They didn't, so I walked over to their space in the Green Field Friday after 5:00, and had a nice 15-minute chat(ducked into 2 other booths on the way for 60 seconds and the Hyman Classic Cars area for 2 minutes). Their 1931 Peerless Master 8 Sedan had just been sold, so they didn't bring it to Hershey.

I heard from two visitors on Wednesday that there was a 1925 Peerless on the west end of the Orange Field, on a little strip of car corral extending that way. I went over on Thursday, but that 10-minute walk proved fruitless, as it was already gone. Later, someone from Poland visited the Peerless Club booth and said it was John Whitley's Model 8-67 Sedan that had been on ebay for $39,000 this spring, and that he bought it and was shipping it home(no idea what it went for). I don't have the new owners name yet. My other excursions to the flea market were to the AACA souvenir tent, the AACA breakfast tent, the booth across from us and the one to the south of us. Didn't see any Peerless parts or literature for sale, but I only went in 7 or 8 booths.

There was someone with a 1909-1911 walnut Peerless Coil Box for sale on ebay a week earlier. It turned out that the guy with the booth across from us had it and someone came by to see if it was the same unit the Peerless in our tent had, after he had bought it (it was). So, there was at least one Peerless part out there.

----Jeff

*Really, I cannot imagine having a Peerless and not being a PMCC Member. Even if you're a museum and have 20 marques represented. Even if your Peerless isn't restored. That would be like buying a new jet to fly somewhere and refusing to land because all the airports charge a landing fee.

Edited by jeff_a (see edit history)

• 1 month later...

Peerless Motor Car Club President Richard Lichtfeld and Event Chair David Baird have determined that the 3rd Annual Peerless Meet will be......JUNE 12th-14th, 2015. To be based around the Crawford Auto-Aviation Museum of Cleveland. I sent some letters out suggesting this would be in 2016, but I have heard that it will be in 2015, after all. The 2nd Annual PMCC Meet will be in the Madison, WI area in 2014.

Like 2013.........this will be very much a joint meet: all of the car companies based in Cleveland, their cars and their fans will be invited. Eighty companies started in Cleveland --- both major and minor. Some of these were:

• Winton
  • Baker
  • White
  • Stearns (and Stearns-Knight)
  • Peerless
  • Jordan
  • Chandler (and Cleveland)
  • Rollin
  • Royal Tourist
  • Hal Twelve
  • Hoffman
  • Rauch & Lang
  • Gabriel
  • Templar

Edited by jeff_a
Added Date (see edit history)

I got to see a proof copy of the PEERLESS CO-OPERATOR magazine two weeks ago, and it looks to be a great one. Issue No. 3 has a story regarding the Peerless V-16 prototype written by Derek Moore, the Curator of Transportation History at the Crawford Auto-Aviation Museum. This issue also has extensive tellings-of-the-tale of our PMCC First Annual Meet in beautiful SW Michigan. We even had one of our Hawaiian correspondents write of their experiences there!

Edited by jeff_a
Re-Write (see edit history)

• 1 month later...

Notice to owners of Peerless automobiles: we have established the dates for our annual Peerless meets. September 4th-6th, 2014, New Glarus, Wis. Applications will be in our next Co-Operator

The National Peerless Meet for 2015 is June 12th-14th in Cleveland, Ohio. The Northern Ohio Chapter AACA along with the Crawford Automobile & Aviation Museum and the Peerless Automobile Club will be assembling a gathering of Cleveland built automobiles. There were 75 different manufacturers of automobiles in Cleveland. This should be a very interesting meet.

Put these on your calendar. RHL

• 1 month later...

Welcome to the Western Development Museum of Saskatoon, Saskatchewan for joining the Peerless Motor Car Club recently. They not only have in excess of 100 vehicles in their collection, but have what, in essence, is a new 1912 Peerless Limousine.

Sounds like a great excuse for a road trip! I'll bet that not 1% of the "D.F.ers" (AACA Discussion Forum users) have been there. If you don't have gas money to visit the museum...please travel to: www.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peerless. Wikipedia has a great photo of this 1912 Peerless...plus a 1911, a 1917 & a 1931.

The museum has 140,000 sq. ft. with 200 cars & 80 steam engines according to one newspaper article. I've never seen a list of the other cars, but know they have a 1909 Brush, 1918 McLaughlin-Buick, 1926 Derby, 1928 Model "A" Phaeton, 1930 Packard, 1931 LaSalle Cabriolet and a 1941 Ford RCAF Staff Car.

• 4 weeks later...

The PMCC is having a booth to promote the Peerless car and the club at the Bakersfield Swap Meet today and tomorrow. David Baird and I met a few Peerless owners, like Con Fletcher of Colorado(1918 Model 56 Limousine) and Mike Yeakel of Washington(1905 Type 11, 40 h.p., 4-Pass. Touring) while working at the booth. Bakersfield is a great pre-war event with a good amount of brass cars and parts. We brought an "ought-nine" Peerless, placed behind the booth, and were just mobbed with people wanting to look at it, just like at Hershey.

Edited by jeff_a
Finished write-up. (see edit history)

• 1 month later...

Time to start planning for the Peerless Motor Car Club 2nd Annual Meet September 4th, 5th, and 6th in New Glarus, Wisconsin. The Peerless community would like everyone who has a Peerless, is interested in the Peerless Motor Car Company, or who is a PMCC member to attend.

Please bring your Peerless no matter the condition or year if possible!! One of the attractions this year is that we're holding the meet in conjunction with an antique aircraft Fly-In; another is we're going to the Swiss village of New Glarus in a nice rural area with a couple days of touring.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Anyone reading this please pipe in about your experiences at Hershey, 2014 if you made it there. If you saw any Peerlesses(like the '29 Six-81 Sedan Pistorius Restorations has FS), Peerless parts, or went to the Peerless Booth --- it would be great to hear. I wasn't able to go this year.

Anyone reading this please pipe in about your experiences at Hershey, 2014 if you made it there. If you saw any Peerlesses(like the '29 Six-81 Sedan Pistorius Restorations has FS), Peerless parts, or went to the Peerless Booth --- it would be great to hear. I wasn't able to go this year.

I was told that no one was at the Peerless booth. Don't know what happened to Ralph. RHL

Richard,

I hope Ralph's O.K.

Sorry I wasn't able to go. I heard that the Hershey Swap Meet days had 8 1/2 inches less rain than last year, too. I was having fantasies about sitting down in a chair and not having my shoes in three inches of water, seeing the AACA Museum, and maybe walking the Swap Meet for a couple of hours. The real tragedy, of course, is that David Baird passed away. Just before his health got worse, he was talking about his dreams to get an early Peerless, a 1903, that could be driven in the London-To-Brighton Run.

Jeff

• 6 months later...

Joanne,

Great to see the photos of David Baird's Model "19" 1909 -- Malcolm Barber's Model "F" 1903 -- John Price's "Green Dragon" 1904 -- the Western Development Museum's essentially-new Model "48-Six" 1912 -- the green Model "56" Cloverleaf Roadster 1917 John Hollansworth restored -- the red Model "6-90" 1927 you and Brando restored -- Ele Chesney's "Custom Eight" 1930 -- and one of the last Peerlesses, the Crawford Auto-Aviation Museum's "XD-31" V-16 on the "History of Peerless" section of the site.

Do you know anything about the photo of the 1929 Model "8-125" 7-Passenger Sedan with the smiling gentleman and the 4 women dressed as Athenians with Olympic torches? I was curious if you knew the occasion in which it was taken.

Thanks,

Jeff

• 7 months later...
  • 3 months later...

There's a new Peerless Motor Car Club member, Richard Voliva, from Grass Valley, California.

If he reads this he's welcome to tell us about his Peerless and where it came from. Quite a few Peerlesses in his state.

---- Jeff

another Peerless Guy

• 1 month later...

Well, here it is summer. I have been checking the Peerless site and there hasn't been much activity. Probably my fault----I have a new computer now and I am starting to load it with the Peerless owners and members. I will soon be able to print labels and get a news letter out. Jeff has done a good job keeping up with Peerless cars and owners. A lot of Peerless owners talk about having a Peerless meet but when we do hardly anyone shows up. And they are a lot of work and cost us money, so we are not real interested in doing another one.  Right now there is only $35 in our checking account but I have a roll of stamps and a lot of stationery so I should be able to get things rolling again.

I have my '16 & '17 Peerless out and they are running great. We were in the Memorial Day parade with the parade marshal in one and veterans in the other. Our local parade is getting quite large with over 100 units and large crowds watching.

I was hoping to take my Peerless on the Orphan Car Tour in August but they are traveling more miles per day and going faster than I want to go, a used car tour----not for antique cars.  So we will be doing day trips and picnics with our cars this year.

Hope you all have a PEERLESS summer.  RHL

Thanks for putting up a post Richard. I sent you a letter a couple weeks ago with an attempt at a member list. Matt with the '31 Custom Eight in NY asked me to try to come up with a semi-current list of Peerless members. I worked a couple of weeks on it but it's really just a revision of a 2013 list David Baird put together. What's interesting is that your member roster Joanne put on the club website, mine, and the number of people with access to the KPAIE list are of similar size. They are all 90-some people. Besides me and thee, I have no way of knowing who's a paid-up member right now. I did leave a space on the right on the list I just sent, if you want to go through it and check them off.

My list of 95 people and the letter were sent to you, Joanne, Matt, and Mark Desch.  After I sent it, I found addresses for 3 or the 4 people I said I didn't have addresses for(Mal, Jonathan, Frank) by using your list. Couldn't find an address for Tom Griffin...but he sold his 1913 48 HP Roadster to the late Bill Knight. Bill said so in a letter he sent me December 1st. I gather that Stephen Brauer is the owner of that 1912 60 HP raceabout which was at the Peerless meet in Cleveland...I don't know Stephen, so I just put down his companys address. Did you know he was a part owner of the St. Louis Cardinals until recently? I reached Pasi Pihlajamaki by Facebook and gave him some information about 1929 Model Six-81 Coupes. He said there are 6 Peerlesses in Finland....that's as many as there are in Missouri! Speaking of faraway Peerlesses, that 1915 Peerless Truck is in New Zealand now. The owner is Sir Peter Jackson, the movie producer who did the Lord of the Rings trilogy. There was an error in my letter about this green Peerless truck. The previous owner was Michael Banfield, not Richard Flynn, both of England. Mr. Banfield was the one who passed away, and the 1915 truck was one of dozens of vehicles selling at his estate auction in 2014. 

We started a radio station here in Monona and my wife and I are doing a one hour traditional jazz program every Sunday evenning from 6 to 7.  I have a large collection of old records and have set up a recording studio in my house and while going through some of my old stuff I came across a tape that we made of the Peerless Song and Peerless March.  This was written in 1916 about the Peerless car & truck and has words to it. I hired a group at the time to recorded it and played it at our Peerless 100 year meet in Cleveland and we all sang along with it.  I am now putting it on a CD and will make it available to anyone interested.  If you want to here our jazz program you can get it on your computer---they are streeming it.  

Go to google---type in tunein.com------98.7---WVMO--LP  Voice of Monona---------let me know if you get it.

RHL

• 6 months later...

I heard from both the Crawford Auto-Aviation Museum in Cleveland and the Peerless Motor Car Club Co-Operator that the All Star Meet will be held again this year. The Cleveland All Stars Homecoming Show will be June 23rd-June 25th, 2017 and will showcase Cleveland and N.E. Ohio made vehicles.

Celebrating 150 years of the Western Reserve Historical Society..........and of course Winton, Peerless, White, Chandler, Jordan, Rollin, Royal Tourist, Baker, Owen-Magnetic, Stearns-Knight and other Ohio automakers.

• 10 months later...
Guest Steve1927Peerless

Gentleman - Your work does not go without notice, especially from this newby. You both have responded to this new owner and is appreciated. I have found in the organization that I have belongs to that if you can get 10% to participate, you are doing great. Considering the number of active Peerless and how spread apart they are, you have your hands full to get enough involved. As my wife has inherited her Peerlesss and her uncle has planted this interest in me, I will be reaching out more and maybe can support your needs. I look forward to the application in the mail and further discussions. 

Hi Steve,

Thanks for joining the AACA forums here and using the Peerless Forum for the 1st time. There are a lot of knowledgeable people here. And we even get Peerless owners and Peerless Motor Car Club members to comment on our marque from time to time:). I sent you a PM with some info about vacuum tanks just now.

• 3 months later...