My Second Buick- My First 1960

60FlatTop

About a month before I graduated from High School in June, 1966 I bought this 1960 Invicta. I just scanned some old pictures so this one dated 1968 was when I was home on leave from the Navy:

post-46237-143141857408_thumb.jpg The car cost $600 and I got a one year car loan at $50 per month and paid about $140 for insurance. My father said none of that 409 or 327 stuff.

I didn't have as much money as the farm kids who raised a cow and sold it for enough to buy a new car back then but I had been working since I was 11 at my Grandfather's Tire Shop and Used Car Lot where I learned things that made me down right dangerous in later years, salesman-wise, of course.

So here we are posing as the highly competent crew ready to help you:

post-46237-143141857414_thumb.jpg Just thought I'd like to share this almost 50 year old history. I'm in the black sweatshirt.

Bernie

Edited by 60FlatTop (see edit history)

Guest Rob McDonald

Hey, that structurally-engineered hair style is back in vogue now. So, we are to assume then that FlatTop refers to the cantilevered roof, not to the teenager?

We sold a lot of those 8.20 X 15 casings for farm wagons. We'd get those Double Eagles with the heavy duty tube and they'd go quick.

And those Firestone signs came from Johny Antonelli: Johnny Antonelli - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia Second to used regrooved tires we sold Firestone recaps. At 16 my first licensed car was a 1950 Special two door fastback. I had four narrow white 7.60 X 15 DeLuxe Champion recaps at $12 each. I left the green on the whitewalls as long as I could to show off the new tires in the school student parking lot.

Bernie

Guest Rob McDonald
do you know the team at FVB in Edmonton?

Nope. Not any personnel, anyway. I've spent the last dozen years rather isolated in the industrial engineering field, mostly oil sands, so I don't know anyone in municipal infrastructure anymore. FVB's schtick is district energy, whereby a central heating and/or cooling plant serves a wider community. I remember hearing about their pioneering North American work here 20 years ago, which resulted in such a project in the municipal services core of Sherwood Park, a large suburb near Edmonton.

Guest Rob McDonald
Love that tire hanging off the roof.

Actually, this photo was taken with a very fast shutter speed. Bernie's cousin Elmo was having some trouble with the tire cage and sort of lost control of that big ol' 7.20x15. Uncle Morden, second from the left, never did fully recover from the blow. Or the surprise.

Hey, that structurally-engineered hair style is back in vogue now. So, we are to assume then that FlatTop refers to the cantilevered roof, not to the teenager?

And glasses without lenses...??? :eek: It's a fashion Statment they say. :P. LOL... And they use to call us 4 eyes... :o Dandy Dave!

Edited by Dandy Dave (see edit history)

I'm 16 or 17 in that picture. I had geek glasses since the 4th grade, geek glasses in High School. And the last time I bought new glasses I told them I wanted frames like you'd expect to see in the 1958 movie Twelve angry Men. The optometrist perked right up and said "I have mine in my car!" I got the same ones.

Geek kid, geek old man; been using computers for work since 1974:

post-46237-143141874042_thumb.jpg