1946 Lincoln fuel problem

Guest GHolm

Guest GHolm

I recently purchased a completely riginal 1946 Lincoln Coupe and am new to all of this. I am having a fuel delivery problem. Every time I drive the car for more than 30 minutes a low speed (25mph) the car stalls from lack of fuel. Car runs fine a freeway speeds. It feels like "vapor lock" or a plugged fuel line. I have insulated the fuel line between the fuel pump and the card, but still the same problem. Any help would be appreciated

Check the black hose between the copper fuel line and the gas line from the fuel tank. These lines go bad with the gasoline of today, and there are replaqcements out there that will work with the crappy gasoline we are forced to use today.

I would also check any areas of engine vacuum for possible vacuum leaks, carburator base, intake manifold, vaccum advance, etc.

9 times out of ten it will be something simple.

Tom

Guest GHolm

Thanks. I figuere that it is something that is simple and has been seen before. When I bought the car both the carburator and fuel pump were filled with junk. I have rebuilt both. No vacuum leaks that I can find. My next step is to drop the tank and check the rubber hose that you have mentioned. Is there a screen or filter in the tank where the fuel line exits? I think that there is a bunch of debris in the tank that might be plugging things up. It's nice to communicate with someone that knows more about these cars than I do. Thank you

Check the black hose between the copper fuel line and the gas line from the fuel tank. These lines go bad with the gasoline of today, and there are replaqcements out there that will work with the crappy gasoline we are forced to use today.

I would also check any areas of engine vacuum for possible vacuum leaks, carburator base, intake manifold, vaccum advance, etc.

9 times out of ten it will be something simple.

Tom

Mr. Holm, You mentioned 2 "key" things in your inquiry--- original car and junk in the fuel pump and carb. Drop the tank and have it cleaned at a radiator shop. You will be surprised at what "junk" is in there. Even old tank sealers will scale off and come back to haunt a car owner, I know .Keep at it ! Larry

Guest GHolm

Well it appears that I'm not as dumb as I thought. The advice that you all have given has been a confirmation of my own thoughts. I was just looking to see if anyone came up with an "easy fix" rather than dropping the tank to check the hose connection and debris in the tank. At the same time I'll flush the line between the tank and fuel pump. Thanks for the help. I feel better. You guys are a great support.

Mr. Holm, You mentioned 2 "key" things in your inquiry--- original car and junk in the fuel pump and carb. Drop the tank and have it cleaned at a radiator shop. You will be surprised at what "junk" is in there. Even old tank sealers will scale off and come back to haunt a car owner, I know .Keep at it ! Larry

As stated here, go simple first, remove carpet from trunk and you should find a little door held on with several screws and a wire held to the sending unit and probably a condenser as well. Disconnect the battery, then take out those screws, thats there you will find the gas tank sending unit. Remove the several screws then the unit then look down in the tank and see what you can. Bet the tank will really be crummy as stated here. I ended up taking mine out as the stuff inside was like concrete. I took mine to an old time radiator shop and they ended up sending it to Cleveland where small holes were cut in several places, then the tank sand blasted and cleaned. The holes have to be drilled as the tanks have baffels inside and this is about the only way to get in there to remove the rust, scale and the other junk that mqagically appears. Once cleaned the holes are welded shut, then a black coating is baked on the tank both inside and out. It isn't a cheap process but it sure ends the problem.

Tom

Guest notnow

Tom,Good to see Your back in the Saddle (Cowboy Expression).. There is a Place close to you that is the "Tank Renew" franchisee ,it's on rte 5 east of Ravenna about 3 Mile.. They cut a hatch on the top of the Tank and sand blast the inside of the tank ,then coat with their "Magic" coating and weld the hatch back in place.then coat the outside ..I had my Tank done there 13 Years ago ..have not had any Problems ..last fall my tank sending went south,when I had it out I visually checked the inside and every thing is "OK".They give a life time Warranty also..While I'm on the subjeck, there's a company in Willoughby that repairs those original type sending units and any Instruments dash related as well as the Clock..Just a Heads up !!!

Guest GHolm

Thanks Tom. Good advice. I'll start on the "project this weekend.

As stated here, go simple first, remove carpet from trunk and you should find a little door held on with several screws and a wire held to the sending unit and probably a condenser as well. Disconnect the battery, then take out those screws, thats there you will find the gas tank sending unit. Remove the several screws then the unit then look down in the tank and see what you can. Bet the tank will really be crummy as stated here. I ended up taking mine out as the stuff inside was like concrete. I took mine to an old time radiator shop and they ended up sending it to Cleveland where small holes were cut in several places, then the tank sand blasted and cleaned. The holes have to be drilled as the tanks have baffels inside and this is about the only way to get in there to remove the rust, scale and the other junk that mqagically appears. Once cleaned the holes are welded shut, then a black coating is baked on the tank both inside and out. It isn't a cheap process but it sure ends the problem.

Tom