Need 1922 Buick Roadster passenger side rear fender

Guest Texas Old Car Guy

Guest Texas Old Car Guy

Here are some photos of my driver's side NOS rear fender; I need the passenger side of this fender. The distance between each of the six bolt holes is 5-3/4 inches.

The photos include a top view, a rear view, a front view, an inside front view and an inside rear view. You should easily see the side skirt running along the entire outside edge along with the raised bead which runs the entire length of the crown and curves up on the rear of the fender to form a "U" shape and the front of the fender has two beads (one 7" long inside and one outside that runs the entire crown). Both of the front beads end about 2" above the running board mounting bracket. I'll be happy to send you exact dimensions of the fender if you think you have one.

If you know of a reputable fender maker who can fabricate a mirror image of the NOS driver's side fender, please let me know.

Thanks,

Fred<FIELDSET class=postcontent><LEGEND>paperclip.png Attached Thumbnails</LEGEND>47306d1340357375t-1922-buick-6-44-roadster-parts-22-buick-fender-top-view.jpg 47307d1340357375t-1922-buick-6-44-roadster-parts-22-buick-fender-rear-view.jpg 47308d1340357375t-1922-buick-6-44-roadster-parts-22-buick-fender-front-view.jpg 47309d1340357375t-1922-buick-6-44-roadster-parts-22-buick-fender-inside-front.jpg 47310d1340357375t-1922-buick-6-44-roadster-parts-22-buick-fender-inside-rear-view.jpg

</FIELDSET>

Guest Texas Old Car Guy

John:

Here are more detailed measurements:

From the bottom of the front to the bottom of the rear over the top of the crown is approx 74-1/2 inches.

The fender has a "rolled" edge with a 1-1/8 inch "skirt".

Inside the front of the fender where it would attach to the running board are three holes.

The running board flange is 1-1/4 inches wide.

There are seven bolt holes across the inside top edge of the fender where it would bolt to the car body.

The width of the fender from front to rear is as follows (measurements taken from inside edge of fender to outside edge across the top of the bolt holes):

At first hole (front side) = 11 inches

Second hole (from front) = 9-5/8 inches

Third hole = 9-1/4 inches

Fourth hole = 9-1/2 inches

Fifth hole = 10-1/16 inches

Sixth hole = 10-3/4 inches

Seventh hole = 11 inches

The fender measures 11-1/2 inches wide when measuring up 12 inches from the bottom on the rear side.

There is a slight "crown" to the top of the fender but the most identifiable part would be the 1/2 inch raised bead which runs along the top and outside of the fender approximately 5/16 inches from the edge and follows the rear bottom curvature of the fender back up on the inside of the fender to form a "U" shape.

The distance between the lower two body bolt holes is 30-1/2 inches.

According to the Buick Book of Parts for 1922, this fender would fit only the Model 6-44 (Roadster).

Thanks for your help in locating this needle in a haystack. It's out there somewhere and the current owner has no way of knowing what he has since they were not marked with a part number. I made 10 trips to Hershey looking for parts for this car and had a diagram in my pocket showing the bolt hole measurements - fortunately I spotted a vendor who had quite a few NOS fenders but had no idea what they fit. He had bought out a dealer many years ago and the fenders were not labeled. I immediately spotted the raised bead running around the top of the fender and confirmed with my drawing measurements which fender was correct for my 1922 Model 6-44. That's how I found the driver's side NOS fender. I was fortunate to have bought a pair of NOS front fenders about 30 years ago but the rear passenger side is much more rare since that's the side that is most often damaged since the driver can't see that side when backing up; accordingly the passenger side fenders were more often damaged and replaced, using up dealer's supply of NOS.

Strange how Buick made different sized fenders for the six cylinder cars and another size for the four cylinder cars the same year. According to the Book of Parts (page 83), Buick had seven different rear fender sets for six cylinder cars in 1922 and four different sets for four cylinder cars in 1922; that means Buick made 11 different sets of fenders in 1922!

The actual part number for the passenger side rear fender for a Model 6-44 Roadster is 43976. The only way that number could conceivably show up is if someone has some NOS fenders that the dealer might have tied a parts tag on it with the number to help identify it.

Thanks,

Fred

Edited by Texas Old Car Guy (see edit history)

Fred,

The rear fenders for the 1921 1922,6 cyl cars are all look the same, the difference for most is the width at the top and possibly the mounting to the running board. You could use a narrower one and extend it to fit.

John

Guest Texas Old Car Guy

John:

Thanks for the idea - now I just have to find a '21 Buick passenger side rear fender and modify it if I can't come up with the '22 fender. I just confirmed they have the same part number in the '21 Book of Parts and the illustration shows they look the same - the raised bead around the edge is a quick give-away.

Fred

Edited by Texas Old Car Guy (see edit history)

• 5 months later...
Guest Texas Old Car Guy

Thought I'd repost this since everyone (except me) is heading to Hershey. If anyone stumbles upon a fender that looks like the one in the photos, please let me know. The red flag to look for is the raised bead along the top with the 1-1/8th inch "skirt" below the rolled outside edge. Call me if you spot one and I can help you identify and confirm it's the one I'm looking for. I have a friend who will be there from Texas and can haul it home. This is the final missing piece in my quest to put this puzzle back on the road.

My phone number is 512-825-336 nine.

Thanks,

Fred

• 5 months later...
Guest Texas Old Car Guy

Larry:

Thanks for sharing this - I watched the youtube video about how they do it and I wonder since they work on Bugatti's and Porsche's requiring $400,000-$500,000 in custom body metal work if they would be interested in doing a lowly '22 Buick fender. :P Interesting video and I can't imagine how much that guy has invested in machinery and equipment shown behind him. I guess he can afford the equipment if he's getting a half a million dollars to build one body!

Keep your fingers crossed for me - I've found a guy who will make me a reproduction fender but have also located the original fender I've been searching for over the last 20 years and have a lead on one . . . we're still negotiating.

Fred

Guest Texas Old Car Guy
I Have a pair of 1919 -20 rear fenders 6 cly touring not sure if they are the same as 21-22 Bill

Take a look at the photos in post number 1 above - I don't think they are the same for 1919-20 and 1921-22. The 1922's have the raised bead around the top edge. Post number 3 has all of the measurements. If yours look like the photos above, please PM me and we might have found them a new home!

Thanks,

Fred