Race Car Question

djr71

I was just wondering about the race car class. Most race cars go though multiple paint jobs, different drivers and rule updates. Is there a rule of how it has to be restored? Take for instance my car (Not that it qualifies way too new).Originally the car was built in 2000 run in the Busch series from 2000-2001, then in the Busch North series 2002-2005 and then re-entered in the Camping World East Series in 2009. So say the car is 25 years old would it have to be restored as the original car or whatever paint scheme or driver I chose to restore it as? Say the car is just at 25 years old but had updated rules would that change the year of the car? Just been wondering this while watching the race cars at Hershey run the track while the announcer tells about the history of the cars.

I am not an expert on this subject but it is understanding that a race car is allowed to be restored to any configuration that it was in during its time as a race car. I do not know if it has to more specifically be a configuration that was at least 25 years old, but it would seem to be a rather logical thought that it would.

I was just wondering about the race car class. Most race cars go though multiple paint jobs, different drivers and rule updates. Is there a rule of how it has to be restored?

Matt is correct, you pick the era that you prefer, but you do have to have substantial certified history, pictures, letters, etc, to authenticate is as the correct vehicle. A Letter to Hulon McCraw would get you headed in the correct direction.

Wayne

PS, it's never too early to begin the process, start researching you race car now.

And if the owner of the race car is still alive they can a great help with old photos and articles about the car's racing career. We have a friend that is restoring a very famous dragster named "The Tank". It won the Gator Nationals in I believe it was 1977. When he found the car it was only the frame with a tarp thrown over it in a guy's back yard. Our friend tracked down who the car had belonged to and the former owner is helping him to restore the car. He has a very thick binder of information and has received tentative approval from the AACA to certify the car for shows when he is done with the restoration.

Guest Stonefish

I recently went through the process with the Superoo. Although this particular car is a 1972 Subaru and has been a race car since day one. It is shown with the AACA as a 1987 Subaru because it is in it's original 1987 "colors". Whatever scheme you opt to show your car in...that paint scheme must be 25 years old regardless of the actual year of the car. I could not show the Subaru until "87" cars were eligible for AACA.

Thanks everyone for the info. Would love to see the "Tank" dragster. I spent alot of time with the nastalgia drag racers.

The good thing about my race car I worked on that car almost all of it's career. So I have plenty of photos and still have contact with the drivers.

Thanks Steve. I am a long way from that. I am still hoping something to it back on the track. I was curious about how it works. It's one of my favorite parts of Hershey watching the race cars running the track. I hear the announcer telling the history of the cars and was wondering how it works.

Thanks everyone for the info. Would love to see the "Tank" dragster. I spent alot of time with the nastalgia drag racers.

The good thing about my race car I worked on that car almost all of it's career. So I have plenty of photos and still have contact with the drivers.

djr71, well, here you go. The first photo is from "back in the day". The last one, the color close-up, is a more recent photo than the others. The driver was Bill Mullins. As far as I know Bill Mullins is still alive. Our friend has been to Bill's house and shop and Bill is very excited to have the car restored. post-36313-143141852072_thumb.jpg

post-36313-143141852057_thumb.jpg

Edited by Shop Rat
Add information. (see edit history)