Columbia Assistance

Ron K.

Years ago the previous owner installed a late model Columbia Two Speed ('46 - '48) with the updated toggle switch and clutch switch. The build sheet shows that my '40 LC came from the factory with a Columbia and I want to put the original system back in the car. If you have the correct '40 valve and speedometer transmission under the hood could you please send a couple of pictures so that I know what equipment to buy and how it should be correctly installed? Thanks.

I would recommend buying the Columbia manual for this. I have one for 1940 and 1941 and

the diagrams are identical. Earle Brown has them $10 .

If you want photos ofthe original Columbia hookup in my '41 Cabriolet I can send them.

I aasume you have the HARD TO FIND parts, such as clutch vlave and speedometer adapter.

Mike

I have the manual with the installation diagram, thanks. I think that I have the correct Vacuum Switch but do not have the correct speedometer switch or the clutch valve. As mentioned, mine has the post war electrical stuff, one reason might be that he may not have been able to leave the Vacuum Switch mounted to the steering box because of the '53 Y Block that was inserted in place of the V-12. It sounds like I may have a problem finding the original parts. I hope that the clutch valve and speedometer shifter are the ones also used in the Ford, which would make them a little easier to find.

Thank you for the pictures, Confucious was certainly correct about pictures and words. When convenient, a shot of the speedometer switch mounted on the firewall would be appreciated. Snow not a problem here today, 85 and sunny. Thanks again.

I was able to shovel out enough to take two more pictures.

When this car was purchased by my father in the late 80's , it

had all of the controls, lines etc. , BUT the Columbia axle was long gone.

I located and installed the 2speed axle in 2006. (THANKs to Dan Krehbiel)

The Columbia Installation manual shows that the speedometer adapter

was supposed to share a mounting screw with the steering cover.

I assume that since this was installed at the factory that they did not follow this.

In my opnion the hardest parts to find (ther than the adapter and clutch valve)

would be the "double" cable : The "0" knob under the dash operates both the

speedomter adapter and the clutch valve.

Mike

post-39370-143141846989_thumb.jpg

post-39370-143141846995_thumb.jpg

Thank you very much Mike, I sure appreciate the pictures. I have talked to John Connelly at Columbia Two Speed Axle a couple of times and my rear axle is going over to visit him next month for a complete rebuild, really a nice guy that knows his stuff.

Guest Jim Zephyr

If you look carefully, there are dimples on the firewall that provide the exact location of mounting the speedo exchanger and even where the cables enter on the 40 Lincoln