Miracles Do Happen

Earl B.

Eric, for enough money, probably most of what I have is too.... If I sell the Roady, I want an unreasonable price, though.... How about selling me 30 years...I've always wanted to be younger.. haha...

• 3 weeks later...

Well, I received a lovely package today from the Buick Gardens....You know, it's just east of Oz, and is the only place where you can throw a few nuts, bolts, and some scrap iron in the ground and grow a Buick. Mr. Earl also has a very rare stainless tree there, and he kindly picked me two pieces of moulding from it... the missing piece for my car and it's mate, so they'll both match. We should all send Mr. Earl a few pounds of scrap, loose nuts and bolts so he can grow some more of those wonderful Buicks, and some stainless so he can plant another stainless tree....

With all sincerity, I do thank Mr. Earl for the stainless...

Well, I've been a busy little Buick boy this week. I got all those books and papers out of the trunk of the car. I found an early owner's name--looked him up on the internet, and found him alive and well, and with a phone number listed. I called and he said he was the fourth owner, but knew the original owner's name.... Fayette Rowe of Columbus Kansas. He was an attorney there and lived from 1902-1983. Mrs. Rowe had died earlier in the year. After his death there was an auction, and the car was sold... Mr.? bought it, and it was later sold or traded to a used car lot where the man I contacted had bought it in 1990. From there I think I know the owners down to me. Unless I've missed an owner, I'm number 8.

Edited by Earl B.
spelling (see edit history)

Well, I received a lovely package today from the Buick Gardens....You know, it's just east of Oz, and is the only place where you can throw a few nuts, bolts, and some scrap iron in the ground and grow a Buick. Mr. Earl also has a very rare stainless tree there, and he kindly picked me two pieces of moulding from it... the missing piece for my car and it's mate, so they'll both match. We should all send Mr. Earl a few pounds of scrap, loose nuts and bolts so he can grow some more of those wonderful Buicks, and some stainless so he can plant another stainless tree....

With all sincerity, I do thank Mr. Earl for the stainless...

Well dang, and all this time I've been trying to get these Buicks to breed, like the emus and goats of days past. So I'm suppose to PLANT them, who would have thunk. Can you recommend a fertilizer? Castrol 20W50 followed by Dexron VI and a little bit of 85W-140.

Thanks for the thanks Earl B. Glad to be able to contribute to that miracle car.

• 3 weeks later...

As we all know things happen when cars sit up and are neglected. When I'd put on brakes, I'd get a pull to the right. So, off to the mechanic.... passener side front wheel cylinder was bad... well, lets see everything....drivers side wheel cylinder bad, but not as bad as passenger side. Back cylinders ok... but, back drivers side, brake shoes were scored something fierce.... When the brakes were done about 1992, they didn't smooth out the drum for whatever reason...it was awful... So, with the brakes about half used, and with the rear cylinders as old as the front, she's getting all new brakes, cylinders, hoses, and with a roar in the front left wheel bearing, new bearings on both front wheels.... So, with a severely dented credit card, I have boxes and boxes in the living room with brake parts. Driving has been put to a minimum.

Oh, and on the way home, the hood popped up and won't stay closed.... And, since nothing else is going on.... I'm pretty sure the tires are from about 1991-1992...... :(

Edited by Earl B. (see edit history)

I had that problem with my hood.

After;

some trial and error adjustments,

copious amounts of white lithium grease,

Two new springs on the lower hood latch mechanism

it works like new again.

(at the hardware store, I found two larger diameter springs that fit over the original springs.)

Mine was sidelined last month with leaky wheel cylinders as well.

• 2 months later...

Well, it's taken a while, but the old girl is up and going again. I have new front bearings and seals, new wheel cylinders, and all news brakes, including clips, hoses and springs. It stops on a dime and gives you 9 cents change. Now, to get over this and get some new tires. It just never ends, does it? :P