TERMITES!

Guest MBidwell

Guest MBidwell

I have a 1946 Ford that I have kept in the garage since I purchased it (about five years ago). I'm in south Florida where termites are having a ball. The car is in its original condition (though rough) and I intend to tackle a full frame off restoration once we move ourselves and it to North Carolina later this year. Consequently, I'm not too concerned about having to replace some of the wood if necessary. I have noticed one piece of wood that has been under attack (termite fras falling in a little pile on the floor). I wanted to treat the car, but the local bug guys don't or won't - one has a container that I could drive it into for treatment, but since it's inoperable that's not a great option. I found a product online called Tim-bor that can be mixed up and sprayed on, but they say it leaves a white residue (which may not be a problem since I'm planning on refinishing it anyway - just depends on how deep the residue soaks in). So, does anyone have any advice on how to deal with the termites? I really want to stop the chewing and don't want to transport the problem to North Carolina when we go.

Thanks!

Dear MBidwell,

I have used Tim-Bor. It works great for wood bores...post powder beetles. It will also work on termites.

You spray it on and wait for the bugs to chew their way out . Once they eat or get in contact with the chemical they die.

*Another thing you can try is chewing tobacco. First you pack the holes with the tobacco. The bugs will start chewing the tobacco. When they come out to spit you smash them with a hammer:)

Sorry, bad joke.

Good luck,

Mike

• 1 month later...

Another product which is used by most professionals now is "Termidor". I successfully used it last year and no swarm this year. If you can find their trail or nest, treat it. It will kill them and the nest if they travel through it. Don't see why you couldn't spray the car wood with it too, better to treat the colony as well. You can buy it online and have shipped to you. It ain't cheap at $60.00 a pint concentrate, but that when mixed is enough to treat a modest sized home. TexasJohn

• 4 weeks later...
Guest MBidwell

Thanks for all the advice. I tried the tobacco and while the termites didn't care much for it, my dog thinks it's better than Milk Bones!