Cleaning aluminum heads?

Beltfed

Guest 65Starfire

Wenol paste metal polish and a dremel tool with a rag wheel for the tight spots. A small rag wheel on a drill for the big areas. A lot of elbow grease and a few adult beverages for "coolant"

Depends on what kids of shine you are after. The above suggestions will work however if you want a factory or better finish, put if off till next winter and I will be happy to tell you how I polished mine. Taint easy or fast but they sure end up looking nice.

If they have been polished before and not just sand cast, you can had sand them in one direction with 600 wet and dry with water, then follow up with an aluminum polish, this will gice an acceptable shine but your finger prints will be no longer.

Tom

if they were not polished originally, the best way to do it would to remove the heads and have them glass beaded by someone who knows what they are doing. I know your are trying to avoid this but that would bring them back like new. Or, fine steel wool and lots of time might work, but not near as well.

Tom

I've owned a small mom & pop business that does bead blasting as a prep to metal refinishing. I have a bead blaster in my garage (big one). I just don't want to remove the heads unless I have to. I've already bead blasted the spark plug wire conduits and applied a coating (hi gloss) which cannot be removed without blasting. If I ever remove (or when) the heads, I will make them look better than new. For now, I'm going to carefully apply a low acidic mixture to remove grim and oxides. Thanks