40 LC Convertable Authenticiy questions

Mike Markin

The only vacuum line for the columbia 2-speed that is copper is the short one from the intake manifold to the

clutch valve . The long vacuum tubes running to the rear axle are steel.

I also do not know about the convertible top lines, as mine is electric.

Guest Jim Zephyr

I am not an expert, but the lines may be both copper and steel, as in copper-coated steel. At least that is what I am using. I want to find more of that special red hose that Ford used, I have a couple NOS pieces, have an 86H-4091 part number on them and are the 17 inch length the book indicates. Of course, they are then cut into the 3 inch lengths to use as required for coupling. Will try to post a photo, this hose reminds me of air compressor hose, but it is smooth with no ribs - some kind of aircraft hose?

When I had my columbia "bulletproofed" in 2006 , I bought all the installation parts from George Trickett (Vt).

George was meticulous about reproducing all the pieces , including the red rubber tubing., clamps and vacuum lines.

I still have his 2005 catalog , he lists the red tubing as his part No. HB-4091; eight pieces for $9.25. I have not heard

of George for some time - he maybe out of the business. He submitted an excellent description of the different V12 blocks built betwee 1936-48 on this website about 8-9 years ago.

Guest Jim Zephyr

post-67972-143141842029_thumb.jpgHere are some photos of NOS hose - the Ford tag had the part number on it and these are the 17" length

our parts book describes. I would call these Cherokee red, almost orange/red in color. The two smaller

pieces are from a highly original 41 Lincoln-Zephyr sedan that had a factory installed Columbia two-speed - this

car had 1958 lic plates and original aluminum heads on it. Rick Gregg and I salvaged this car

out of a farmer's field in South Dakota. Both the NOS and smaller pieces match in color and in the cloth

covering - if you look very closely at the NOS hose you can see the cloth. This is the most accurate

hose I have ever seen, if someone knows where we can find this hose it would be helpful to us restorers.

George's hose would work fine, but its a bit too red and too modern. This "cloth covered" stuff is the Holy Grail!

post-67972-14314184205_thumb.jpg

post-67972-143141842066_thumb.jpg

Edited by Jim Zephyr (see edit history)

Mr Trickett was sort of retiring when last I spoke with him in 06...but I see ads in twotz..

The ribbed hose is reinforced air compressor hose, and is not correct..but it is red..My 40 had steel lines prebent for all the top plumbing.

I removed it by cutting in several places..(should have left it alone) I used copper to replace beacause i could bend it. The same stuff sticks

through the firewall to a small piece of red hose to hook it to manifold, which powers wipers..

pic of mikes set up..awesome.just like Henry made it

Edited by Mssr. Bwatoe (see edit history)