Interesting new change in the 2013 Judging Guidelines.

Shop Rat

Bill, Rodger Woodrum, Earl Butler and I went to the judging school at the Charlotte Meet. No mention was made about changes in the guidelines other than the book being rearranged and items added to the index/table of contents. As a matter of fact it was commented on to that effect, "no changes except for rearranging the index/table of contents". Imagine my surprise to read that the deduction for a period correct, but non-matching headlight has jumped from 1 point to all 3 points being deducted. It has been a 1 point deduction since I started judging in 1990. The mandatory 10 point deduction for Halogen headlights has been removed as I had campaigned to have done. And they did what I feel is fair, they reduced the points per headlight from five to three per headlight. Now the deduction for a non-authentic Halogen where they weren't available for the year, make and model is three points per headlight times how many there are. Then at the judges breakfast the last CJE mentioned was for....."Changes to the 2013 Judging Guidelines". Really???? :confused: I had to take the Team Captain CJE to keep up my certification, but you can bet I will take the one for changes at the next meet we go to.

Edited by Shop Rat
Add " at the end of a sentence where it was missing. (see edit history)

Oh, and it was mentioned to me that the reason there aren't any asterisks to draw our attention to new/changed items, or the printed list we would get in the judging school, is that they want for all judges to read the whole book cover to cover before they judge. I don't have a quarrel with that. But it would still be nice to have a list of what did change so that we can make sure we are up on the changes if for some reason we are short on time and can't read the whole book cover to cover. The comment made to be by the person that told me that was, "You know that isn't going to happen." :rolleyes: So even they don't believe that will work. Just sayin'.

Ted,

No, I think you meant to say that a NON-matching but period correct headlight will now receive the same deduction as a non- correct halogen. I think I understand the intent of the new wording, but I don't think it is the best wording to convey that intent.

I would suspect it intends to indicate that if you have one correct as original headlight and three incorrect but matching headlights, you receive the deduction for all three of the incorrect headlights but no "mismatching" deduction for the one corrrect headlight. The one that does not match the others does not get the deduction even though it is the non-matching headlight. You receive a deduction for each incorrect one, no matter how many of them there are.

The wording implies that period correct headlights that do not match will be deducted for as follows: 1, and any that do match it, will be considered correct. They will not receive a deduction unless they are in less than perfect condition. All non-matching headlights will now receive the full three point deduction.

I have the 2012 book and the 2013 book and it certainly look like the deduction has changed considerably.

It sounds like someone in authority needs to clear this up.

I heard back from Hulon late last night. Here is what he sent. ***** "Even though period correct if the headlight is non-matching then it’s wrong, as wrong as if it were Halogen. When the component is non-authentic (wrong) it receives a maximum deduction. As you heard me mention in the Team Captains CJE we do not reward for having the wrong component even though it is functional and it allowed the vehicle to come on the show field.<o:p></o>***** Here is the updated rule as of 2013. ***** " <o:p></o>

“Headlights should be of the period and matching. Non-matching, but period correct headlights will receive the maximum point deduction (3 points) per<o:p></o>

non-matching headlight. One correct headlight (and others that match) will not receive the maximum deduction for non-matching headlights. The other headlights<o:p></o>

that do not match will receive the maximum deduction. Specific brand (i.e. Guide T-3, Westinghouse, GE, etc.) is unimportant.”<o:p></o>

<o:p> </o>

<o:p>So, if a four headlight vehicle, such as a 1958 Chevy has four different (but period correct) headlights (1 Westinghouse, 1 GE, 1 Sylvania and 1 Guide) one of the headlights (doesn't matter which one) will be considered "correct". Therefore the other three will receive a 3 point deduction each for a total of 9 points deducted. On a vehicle where any period correct headlights match exactly will be considered matching. All others will receive the maximum deduction of 3 points per headlight. "Specific brand (i.e. Guide T-3, Westinghouse, GE, etc.) is unimportant.”</o

P.S. Not one of the four members on my team knew about the part of the rule that specific brand does not matter. I campaigned for three years to have that rule added because it had been a rule since May 25, 1995 but had been overlooked when the guidelines were re-written. And one of the members here declared that until the rule was in the book he was going to continue to deduct for the lack of T-3 headlights in vehicles that came from the factory with them. The AACA does not judge like that. We are all to judge the same way by the same rules. It has now been in the book for five years. We do not deduct for the lack of specific brand headlights (T-3, FoMoCo, etc) even if they are what came on the vehicle from the factory. It doesn't matter what rules like the Chevy or Ford clubs use. AACA judging only deducts for headlights that are not period/era correct, non-matching period correct or if they are Halogens in a vehicle that they were not standard or an option for the year, make and model.

The message is clear, all judges need to read the new Judges Guidelines each year. ALL of the book. There are changes in the book. And they no longer put the ** to indicate "major changes". And if a judge has questions about what is in the book, contact the VP of Class Judging Hulon McCraw and ask for his guidance.

• 1 month later...

I had hoped to go to the CJE that was to cover the changes in the 2013 Judging Guidelines at the Gettysburg Region Meet in Carlisle but it wasn't offered. Guess I will have to hope that it is taught at the next Meet we go to. I really, really want to hear what the instructor has to say.

And I really think they need to go back to the old way of putting the ** to indicated changes.