Tom is here lurking when he can

Tom_Overfield

Morning all,

Tom is indeed here as often as possible and lurking in the shadows. As happens to us all as we age, I have run into some medical issues I have been trying to work through and when I resolve one issue another seems to appear. The latest I just heard about is rather serious, so I go in next week for surgery and will probably be there a week or so.

As the health issues have been taking most of my time and pretty much knocking me to the ground on occassion, I haven't spent much time in the garage however never fear, the 41 is still waiting patiently. If that car was a woman it would have left me years ago for lack of attention.

The hood is off and after resolving the seeping aluminuim head issues, the engine was moved over to the car and ready to be lifted in. Then I thought I better install everything I could in the engine bay before bolting the motor in. I also finally got all of my gold plating finished as well as a couple of small odds and ends that needed chromed. I did get that much accomplished, then other issues arouse.

Never fear, this place is like a drug addiction to me and there are not too many days I don't check in to see what is going on in our world of Lincolns.

I will probably be away for a week or two as I recover from the surgery but I'll be lurking in the shadows when I can.

Thanks

Tom

Morning Mike,

Great news to hear you resolved the problem without removing the head. The only other hint I might offer is those aluminum heads might require serveral re-torque sequences in order to have them sealed properly. The funny thing on my heads was that when running and hot they didnt leak or seep a drop. Let the motor cool down all night and check the area between the heads and intake and there would be one to three drops of water sitting there. After retightening the heads maybe 5 times the seepage finally stopped.

Tom

Tom -

When my father bought and restored this car in the late 80's it had cast iron heads.

After pulling the engine 3 years ago I found it to be an early 1946 engine, with six bad cracks in the block.

I bought what was "said" to be a 1941 block, but is actually a 1942 block.

I am using the cast iron heads from the '46 engine ; ............

I want to DRIVE this car , the trophy days are over for me. It is still a GREAT looker and 99.9% of people

that see it do not know that the heads and intake should be polished, let alone that it HAS a V12.

I can't wait 'til summer (we just received another 3" of snow last night).

I finally posted pictures of this car on my profile page.

Thanks for your help, and I wish you a speedy recovery.

Mike

Great looking car Mike. When I had Jim Roll do the top and interior on my car I almost went with the blue top, however by the time it got to that point I thought I better stick with the original tan color.

If you go to my profile page there are three albums, click on "more" for the third album and you'll see my car.

There is no doubt the aluminumn heads are more trouble than they are worth, but they sure are pretty sitting there all polished with the polished intake. All I want to do with my car is get it to one meet, have it judged, then put the top down and enjoy it.

Tom