Repairing a Leak on smooth sided car hauler

I am faced with a leak on two seams of my smooth side aluminum car hauler. The seams are vertical. The skin is aluminum held together by a 3M VHB tape with no rivets or brads. These two seams are obviously separated on the outside, but there is also evidence of damage on the inside walls. The trailer was made in Canada and the nearest dealer is 800 miles away from where I live, so I have no support from the mfg's dealer.

Should I just run some silicone along the seams on the outside and hope for the best OR began tearing out from the inside in order to repair any damaged stud, etc. Even if I work from the inside I am still faced with the separated skins.

What are your thoughts? Pushing it off in the lake is not an option (at this time)!

Thanks,

I don't know the best way to fix it, but I suggest you find a motorhome/RV dealer in your area. Their personnel will be quite familiar with the best way to make this type of repair. They do this sort of work on a fairly regular basis.

• 1 month later...

You might try one of these products. ............................................................................................................................................................................... SEM 39357 - Flexible Urethane Foam

3M Automix Flexible Foam - 08463

Lord Fusor 121 or 124 Flexible Foam

Edited by Larry Schramm (see edit history)

I would personally stay away from silicone. Maybe test some SEAM SEALER, a good automotive paint store will have a quality product. I would think you need something that remains somewhat flexible. IMO.

Test before going hog wild, I wish you well. I also would check with a good RV builder/service center,like Matt suggested.

Dale in Indy