Our 1908 Brush

Guest Nancy DeWitt

Guest Nancy DeWitt

Just want to share a

of the 1908 Brush that was owned by silent film star Gilda Gray and is now in our museum. A little about it and the history of a Brush automobile in Alaska is written up here on our blog. Enjoy!

Nancy,

Thanks for sharing the video and history. That is one of the best videos of an early Brush that I have ever seen. From what I could see in the video, it looks like there are two brass ID plates on the auto. Were they a Selden Patent Plate and a Brush manufacturer's plate? If so, could you share the info on each plate? I have a 1911, F, runabout with Mfg'r Plate, but the Selden Plate on my vehicle has disappeared. The carb on your Brush was hard to see, is it a 5-ball or Brush carb? I also have a 1904 Cadillac that A. Brush help design and there are many similarities between the two autos.

Thanks again.

Skip in MN.

Guest Nancy DeWitt

Skip, here are photos of the Selden and manufacturer's plates:

post-58418-143141825213_thumb.jpg

I'm waiting for our manager to get back to me about your carb question.

post-58418-143141825208_thumb.jpg

Nancy,

Thanks so much for the the great photos. The Brush Mfg'rs plate did not change significantly over the years. The Selden plate is the same as my Cads Plate and the number is 245,850 higher than the 1904 issue. I know my '11 Brush had a Selden plate, but the record of the number has been lost over time also.

I appreciate your help. Your museum videos are terrific. I spent a lot of time browsing the different auto videos. Hopefully I will get to Alaska someday to see your collection.

Guest Nancy DeWitt
Nancy,

Thanks for sharing the video and history. That is one of the best videos of an early Brush that I have ever seen. From what I could see in the video, it looks like there are two brass ID plates on the auto. Were they a Selden Patent Plate and a Brush manufacturer's plate? If so, could you share the info on each plate? I have a 1911, F, runabout with Mfg'r Plate, but the Selden Plate on my vehicle has disappeared. The carb on your Brush was hard to see, is it a 5-ball or Brush carb? I also have a 1904 Cadillac that A. Brush help design and there are many similarities between the two autos.

Thanks again.

Skip in MN.

Skip, Willy Vinton, our manager, says that we currently run an NH carb on our Brush, which works great on it.

Thanks again Nancy. I also use an NH straight through carb. I have not seen an early Brush carb (not 5-ball). I was checking because I have literature on how they worked, but have never seen one first hand.

Regards,

Skip