unkown Marvel carb w/intake dirverter

1909schacht

Hi all !

photos are of a marvel carb with a cool intake air dirverter (heater ?)

numbers cast on body are "J2H", "S" , and on the other side "F"

numbers on the float houseing are "65-1" with a letter "R"

stampted ser. number is 124936

air dirverter housing number 38834-4 on the outside

inside dirverter flap # 88335

so any ideas as to what it goes to ?

post-68188-143141822564_thumb.jpg

post-68188-143141822577_thumb.jpg

post-68188-143141822588_thumb.jpg

post-68188-143141822598_thumb.jpg

The Marvel carbs that had a cast iron float bowl rather than being all bronze mostly went on things other than cars like farm machinery. I also suspect that this type is from the twenties. I couldn't say specifically what it would go to. Most of these Marvels had a small 1/2" heater intake above the air intake. this one seems to have something to heat the incoming air. Do you have any idea of how and what that paraphernalia did?

LARRY, THE MARVEL CARBURETOR YOU HAVE IN THE PHOTOS IS VERY, VERY SIMILAR TO WHAT IS ON MY 1920 K-46 BUICK SIX-CYLINDER. THE SMALL INTAKE PORT HAS A SINGLE TUBE THAT RUNS FROM THE FRONT SIDE OF THE EXHAUST MANIFOLD AND THIS ACTS AS A PRE-HEATER FOR THE CARBURETOR, ESPECIALLY IN COLD WEATHER. THE LARGE PORT THAT POINTS UP IS CONNECTED VIA A THIN TUBE TO THE EXHAUST MANIFOLD. THERE IS A CAVITY IN THE EXHAUST MANIFOLD THAT BRINGS WARM (HOT) AIR INTO THE CARBURETOR INTAKE PORT. THE WHOLE ASSEMBLY IS ACTUALLY A BARREL CHOKE. OUTSIDE COLD AIR IS SHUT OUT UNTIL THE ENGINE WARMS AND THE LEVER IS ROTATED TO SHUT OFF HEATED AIR FROM THE EXHAUST MANIFOLD. THE GASOLINES FROM THE EARLY TWENTIES NEEDED TO BE HEATED TO HELP VAPORIZATION. ANOTHER WAY OF PUTTING THIS IS THE OCTANE RATING WAS REALLY LOW AND THE COMPRESSION RATIOS WERE LOW AND THE FUEL MIXTURE NEEDED ALL THE HELP IT COULD GET TO GET IT TO THE POINT OF VAPORIZING. HOPE THIS EXPLANATION HELPS YOU AND THE OTHERS FOLLOWING THIS THREAD. TERRY WIEGAND DOO DAH AMERICA YOU KNOW YOU'VE BEEN THERE

Terry,

You say that the carb is very similar to the one on your Buick. does the one on your BuicK have a cast iron float chamber or is it all bronze? On most applications that I have seen the preheater heats the carb, but not the combustion air. This almost looks like it heats the carb and the combustion air. I would still lean towards a farm or industrial application. That is a pretty fancy preheater.

NICKELROADSTER, THE CARBURETOR ON MY 1920 BUICK HAS A BRASS (BRONZE) FLOAT BOWL. IT REALLY LOOKS ALMOST IDENTICAL TO THE UNIT SHOWN IN THE PHOTOS HERE. IT SEEMS THAT I HAVE HEARD SOMETHING ABOUT THE MARVEL CARBURETORS BEING SOMEWHAT DIFFERENT FOR COMMERCIAL/INDUSTRIAL/AGRICULTURAL APPLICATIONS. I AM NOT THE GREATEST ON THESE COMPUTERS SO I WILL ASK MY DAUGHTER TO HELP ME POST A PICTURE OF THE 1920 BUICK UNIT ON THE ENGINE. WE HAVE A 1916, 1920, AND 1922 BUICK THAT ALL USE THE BRASS-BODIED MARVEL CARBURETORS. I HAVE SENT THEM ALL TO CLASSIC CARBURETORS DOWN IN PHOENIX FOR REBUILD/RESTORATION. I WAS NOT A HUGE FAN OF THE MARVEL UNIT BECAUSE OF THE AIRSPRING FEATURE UNTIL THOSE BOYS REBUILT THE FIRST ONE FOR ME. THE CARS RUN GREAT AFTER THEY ARE DIALED IN. KEEP AN EYE ON THIS THREAD AND I WILL GET A PHOTO OR TWO POSTED ON HERE AS QUICKLY AS POSSIBLE. TERRY WIEGAND DOO DAH AMERICA

I do suspect that the cast iron float bowls are on the industrial carbs (maybe carbking will chime in). I have heard a lot of complaint about marvels but have managed mine in a 1915 Olds by installing slightly larger float, installing a viton needle, and drilling out the spray nozzle two to three sizes to richen mixture for the alcohol in gas.

• 8 months later...

G,day to all

The actual body looks to me a type used on Buick four cyl from 1915 on to 1918 but these used a butterfly in the inlet as a strangler or choke if you like and not the choke hot air unit drawing hot air from the exhaust stove .The 1918 examples we have seen have the main body in malleable iron probably due to the war effort taking the copper alloys. float bowl is as before. When fitted to Buick the car model was often cast on the side of the main body. If I had to guess I would say off a Northway engine from an Oakland or Scripps Booth 1918 on. Noticing this unit has the fitting and tube to take a measure of exhaust gas from the ex manifold to the carb body. Ive not seen one exactly like it What say you?

Max BURKE Nulkaba 2325 Australia.