Got spark now gas

Guest pbob42

Guest pbob42

Got my spark, working on my gas now. Pretty exciting - she is trying to run on starter fluid. Not getting fuel to the carb. Trying to get to my fuel filter. Think it is sitting in that glass bulb next to the fuel pump. Got the retainer off but the glass is frozen in place. Any tricks on getting her out?

Got my spark, working on my gas now. Pretty exciting - she is trying to run on starter fluid. Not getting fuel to the carb. Trying to get to my fuel filter. Think it is sitting in that glass bulb next to the fuel pump. Got the retainer off but the glass is frozen in place. Any tricks on getting her out?

Is there fuel in the glass bowl? If not, changing the filter won't matter. Did you drop the tank and clean it? You might be better served for the moment to disconnect the inlet line to the filter, attach a temporary metal line (or barb fitting) and from there run a hose into a small gas can. This ensures that you'll be getting clean fuel.

Also, did you rebuild the carb? If not, I'll pretty much guarantee that when the old gas evaporated, it left deposits that will plug the passageways in the carb. In addition, I've found with my 62 that if the carb is dry, simply cranking the engine won't suck gas into the filter quickly enough. I have to manually fill the carb float bowls (through the bowl vent, using a syringe) so the engine will run long enough for the fuel pump to start drawing fuel.

Guest pbob42

Well I am pretty sure I have some carb issues - once I get gas there I will start working on it. I will run a line to the fuel pump and see what happens. I am thinking with a fresh line from a gas can to the fuel pump I should see some gas coming out of the fuel line just before the carb. What kind of pressure should I be looking for?

Well I am pretty sure I have some carb issues - once I get gas there I will start working on it. I will run a line to the fuel pump and see what happens. I am thinking with a fresh line from a gas can to the fuel pump I should see some gas coming out of the fuel line just before the carb. What kind of pressure should I be looking for?

Somewhere in the 4-6 PSI range

Guest pbob42

Found a new fuel pump in the trunk - put it in and she fired right up. I ran gas from a gas can. Fuel hose all cracked. I pulled it out ready to be replaced. I am a little puzzled though. There is fuel in the tank shouldn't it be running out the fuel line? Is it just gravity feed?

cracked hose next to tank. thanks

Yeah, that's common. The hose cracks and the pump starts sucking air. And no, it's not gravity feed, though sometimes fuel will siphon out of the tank if you disconnect the hose at the pump. Keep in mind that the tank outlet is at the top of the tank, not the bottom.

Guest pbob42

Yes - figured that out. Got a picture of the tank. Need to drop and clean it out. Replace the hose and hope to be good. When she started I reved her up a tad and the white cap on the junction to the break booster popped about 10 feet in the air. That is supposed to be a vacuum right? Any thoughts on that?