Two Ghias wanted

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...

Speaking of the Ghia 450/SS I just wanted to see if you could verify the rumor that Burt Sugarman, who created the car and imported many of the 52 made (I heard some had European metric instruments so maybe Ghia was allowed to sell some in Europe) , sold the rights to the name Ghia of America to Ford for a hefty sum. The first guy that told me this said $10 million but I find that improbable, but I would believe something under half a million. He had Ford over a barrell because in 1969 Ford bought out DeTomaso of his Ghia and Vignale factory facilities and were all set to market the Pantera in America with the Ghia badges only to find that some damn buy out in Hollywood owned the US rights to the name Ghia.

Also in searching for one, did you ever see pictures of a light colored one, possibly white or yellow, with extra wide taillamps,a nd a manual shift? I think that was the prototype, never heard if that car got sold to the public.

If I hear of one for sale, I will contact you on the AACA forum. Last time I saw one was in Concorso Italiano in Monterey, a beautiful silver one.