Antifreeze: yes or no?

Beltfed

The reason I asked was from reading a discussion over on the Buick forum started by 'trp314592' on Nov. 7, 2010. It has a lot to say about organic additive technology vs inorganic additive technology and what these additives do to cooling systems over ten years old. Very interesting reading. If anyone has more information to add please post it. It reminds me of the lack of ZDDP in modern oil problems a couple years back. That problem cost me a fresh 250 Chevy motor. Till then I for one am going to take their advice. Thanks.

I read the article from Waynesgarage. I didn't see any mention of really old cars like ours. I do believe that some type of anti-corrosive stuff needs to be in the cooling system as mentioned in the article. I think I will try to find some old style antifreeze to be safe. Thanks.

This might help in your search: From the 1936 Lincoln Zephyr Owner's manual; " Never fail to use an anti-freeze solution in cold weather. Ethylene Glycol. radiator glycerin, or alcohol are recommended as anti-freeze solutions. These are all organic liquids and like water will cause rusting in any system containing iron. This iron rusting can be controlled by the use of a rust inhibiter which can be obtained at Lincoln Zephyr service stations. Ethylene Glycol, some radiator glycerines and some brands of alcohol,as marketed, contain an effective inhibiter to control this corrosion."