Multiple Options

Guest D Gregg

Guest D Gregg

I have a concours judging question regarding wheels and wheel covers that I have not found an answer for. Any thoughts or "official ruling" on the question are welcome. I have done this idea at a number of smaller local shows with good feedback from the general public but have yet to pull it off at a concours, as I'm not sure how it would be scored and every point i valuable in that enviroment. I have a feeling this could apply to any number of vehicles on display.

I have a 64 Buick Riviera and there were a couple of different wheel options that year, the wire wheel covers, Standard wheel covers and the chrome rally wheels. When I have the wire wheels on the car it has a "classy" look to it and when I have the chrome rally wheels on the car it has more of a 'sporty' look to it. So here's my question:

If I place the wire wheel covers on the drivers side of the car and the rally wheels on the passenger side of the car, will I lose points for not having matching wheels on the car?

Like I mentioned at the start, I have done this at a few local shows and asked people what look they liked better. I always initiated great conversation, was something slightly different and definitely divided the sexes. The women liked the wire side and the guys liked the rally side. Plus I hate having a nice set of wheels just sitting in the garage all season. Got em, let's enjoy em.

AACA judging is very different than Concours level judging or local car show judging. You need for the wheels/wheel covers to match and that includes any that are on spares that can be seen without removing another component, which we do not do. Some folks bring examples of other options and have them nearby where people can see and enjoy them. If they are not in/on the vehicle they will not be judged. If they in/on the vehicle they will be.