Construction Site Buick

60FlatTop

I still remember sitting in a checker board or Poka Dot restaurant on Main St. in Normal with my son commenting on the Normal Police car that drove by. That was pre-internet days and we had picked up a customer's Corvair convertible the night before in Peoria. It was July 5th, maybe 1995. My son was about 14. The day before Andy and I had flown into O'Hara and caught a 9 PM local flight to Peoria. That's a 14 year old, first time flying, under 30,000 feet, the 4th of July at fireworks time. You don't forget those trips. We took route 24 to Fort Wayne for the scenic ride. It was so hot we couldn't put the top down and I bought my first bottle of water- to wet my t shirt for cooling.

I seem to remember a RT 41 Auto Sales with a '49 or 50 Caddie convert and a Panhard in a barn full of cars.

Here's another shot approaching the plant:

a0075.JPG

That restaurant was probably STEAK n SHAKE. It was square panels of BLACK and WHITE. That was the original S n S, opened in 1934. I was born a block away along side SUGAR CREEK, which ran down beside S n S. I could see S n S out my bedroom window.

Later we moved into a new home on North Main just out of town. The police used to come by chasing a speeding car, and as kids we would run out with a CHECKERED FLAG and flag them on. I bet they hated the Smith kids, all five of us, LOL.

Oh, to good ole days, hehehe.

Dale in Indy

P.S. The things we five did as kids, well, I can't believe we survived. Thank the good Lord.