FS: 1947 Salsbury Model 85 Imperial Rocketscooter

I am selling my all original 1947 Salsbury Model 85 motorscooter. These were made in Los Angeles between 1947-1950 by E. Foster Salsbury. This particular scooter is all original and running. It was found in a barn in Upstate NY. It still has it's original paint and upholstery. I tuned up the engine and it runs good. As with any barn survivor this scooter has a lot of dings, dents and scratches but also has great original patina. These are very rare and collectible. $6500 OBO. For more info call Scott: 1-630-699-9934 Located in Ridgewood NJ.

post-72565-143141811964_thumb.jpg

post-72565-143141811973_thumb.jpg

Guest Rob McDonald

Wow, what an awesome little machine! Great lines on such a small canvas. I love the front bumper assembly - it actually looks like it would work.

Not being familiar with the brand, I Googled it and found quite a few great pictures of these scooters. I've included a link because there's lots more than the two I've included. I always find it interesting when companies that start out making one thing then change directions (usually for financial reasons) and make something else. Pierce - Arrow and Graham paige are two that come to mind. Anyway, there's a mailbox manufacturing firm in L A by the name of Salsbury. Perhaps sheet metal forming and stamping are the common link?

https://www.google.com/search?q=salsbury+scooter&hl=en&client=firefox-a&hs=fsG&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=vv9RUfWJBaLlyAHolYDADA&sqi=2&ved=0CDYQsAQ&biw=1280&bih=848#imgrc=Dkpp4VAAw5D1OM%3A%3BKUmTUVNjpeBNmM%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fwww.justgottascoot.com%252Fimages%252Fsalsbury01.jpg%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fwww.justgottascoot.com%252Fyamahac3.htm%3B300%3B294

salsbury01.jpgBestinShow.jpg

• 9 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Guest junkie1992

Hey scootyson I have a 1947 salsbury scooter for sale almost completely restore im located in indio ca. If you have question or want to see pictures text me at 760-300-7919 ask for richard

• 1 year later...
Guest onyxbooboomassey@gmail

I have a 1949 Salisbury scooter all orig with 3 digit blk tag running comes with back seat bumper speedometer and spare tire clean title no rust great for restoration 8,000 obo 3026048164

• 1 year later...

Hi everyone, I know this is an old post but do any of you still have a Salsbury for sale? My g grandpa worked in the company so it is kind of 

a holy grail item I would one day like to find for my dad but every time I find one it's too far away or too far out of my budget. :( Also, Salsbury DOES make mailboxes 

now. I recently toured the facility while they were scanning some Salsbury paperwork my dad has. Thanks! :)

Kim, I would recommend telephoning them.

Thankfully, they put their phone numbers in their postings.

Neither has been on the forum for quite a while.

If you click on a person's User Name (at the left of his posting),

you'll get a page that gives some more information.

The original poster hasn't visited our forum for a year;

and the man in posting #6 hasn't been here for 2 years.

Hope you find what you want!

• Like 1

Good point John. Yes, be cautious & do your due diligence in responding to persons offering items that you post on forum you are looking to buy. I recently posted on this forum wanting to buy a set of seats I need for a Series II Jaguar I recently acquired in a trade. About 2 days later I get a phone call from a man with a CA phone # that he just happens to have a set that is exactly what I was looking for. He said someone who saw my forum post called him because they knew he had a set of seats &  passed my info to him. Sounded like a nice fellow. Even the leather upholstery on the seats was the same color as the ones on my car. I asked him if wanted to sell them & he said he never really thought about selling them but he would since he no longer had the car they came from. He offered them to me at a reasonable but not a giveaway price. He offered to have them boxed up & shipped through a discount trucking company he uses. I asked him if he has a PayPal account & he said he does know what Paypal is. I asked him to email me a photo of the seats & he said he is not a computer guy. I then asked him to send photos on his cell phone & he said his cell phone was 30 years old & does not have a camera. I asked him what his name & address was. He gave me that info without hesitation. I told him I would send him a check, when it clears, he could ship the seats. He said he had no way of cashing it because his ex-wife wiped out his bank account & no longer had a bank account to cash a check. When I heard this, red flags & bells started going off in my head. I then googled his name & address he gave me & that did not exist. I called him back on the # he called me on & he answered the phone. When I confronted him about all his red flags, he hung up on me. Best hangup I could ever ask for. Never heard from him again. Point I'm making, use common sense to determine if sale item is for real. 

• Like 2

On 12/14/2016 at 6:34 PM, reatta vice said:

....Sounded like a nice fellow....

I then googled his name & address he gave me & that did not exist. I called him back on the # he called me on & he answered the phone. When I confronted him about all his red flags, he hung up on me.... 

Most people in the hobby are honest, but evidently

some crooks are so smooth and oily they appear innocent.

Reatta, it's good that you thwarted a criminal.

For a large item like a scooter, I would never buy it

sight-unseen;  there's probably a club member who lives nearby

who could see it in person if it's far away.  Personally, I like

to see things for myself.

For small items, C.O.D. (cash on delivery) is an excellent solution

that protects the buyer and the seller. 

• 7 months later...
Guest Tony Erker

Hello,

I am looking for an Salsbury Scooter! If you know one is for sale, let me know.

Best Wishes

Tony Erker

• 5 months later...