1934 Packard Preservation

Guest bsmayer

Hi Don, Although on AACA since 2009, I have not been active in communication so hope you are still "around" to talk about your '34 Packard. I have a '34 V12 5 pass sedan in relatively original condition. I spoke to Jim Pearsall about your 1101 years ago and also more recently since going through these entries. Please call me at 503 396-0582 or e-mail karma5@shaw.ca so we might compare notes and get current !

Bhagwan Mayer

• 9 months later...

I can't believe it has been almost 9 months since I have posted to this thread. I guess that is the result of having good luck and a good car - I have had no problems, drive it every week weather permitting, and continue to enjoy people's reaction when they see it. While I have not put a lot of miles on it I have to say this has been one of the most dead reliable hobby cars I have owned.

I did want to update you on some mechanical issues I mentioned a while back. The main item was very low compression in one cylinder which caused a regular misfire. The car still ran pretty smooth to the point I didn't know I had a problem until the compression test. I freaked about needing to find a mechanic but good advice I received on this forum calmed me down. I used Marvel Mystery oil both in the cylinder and mixed with the fuel and continued to drive the car as I had been. Eventually the compression improved to 35-40 PSI, still marginal but at least firing most of the time. No mechanic, no disassembly, and no cost! My other concern was that the engine tends to run hot, especially in the Texas summer heat. Freakout again about needing a radiator rebuild, etc. But as the heat rose again this year I continued to drive it and realized it stays around 190-200 degrees but has never boiled over, lost coolant, or caused any vapor lock problems. I don't think I would try a long trip with it, but after talking to others and reading about problems on this forum I think the concern was mostly in my head.

post-94255-0-13466700-1434147481_thumb.jpost-94255-0-62314100-1434147493_thumb.j

• Like 1

I have recently been fortunate in finding a "new" hobby car which I will take delivery of next week. I have long wrestled with the logistics of use and storage this creates, to the extent of leasing a storage garage for my Oldsmobile, but the long term reality is that having too many cars is too much for me and is not fair to the cars. With that in mind, I will (reluctantly) be putting this Packard up for sale shortly and will put an ad in this forum along with other venues early next week. The two years I have been caretaker of this car have been a dream realized for me as the 34 Packard was always one of the top cars on my very long wish list. I do want to thank all those who followed this thread and offered their help and assistance along the way, I really appreciate it.

Well I'm really late to this party I see. 34 Packard? Who the he** wants one of those :D ? Sarcasm of course. I've done a dozen of em, many from the ground up. Some items I read in this topic were fairly clear and right, some seemed a bit off, but overall you seem to have lived a nice year plus with what I consider the high water mark of nearly all Classic Cars. I see you'll be selling it so there's not much I can offer you in assistance, but I don't think you'll have much trouble finding an owner. Of course it's no Ford or Chevy so don't expect an audience in 5 or 6 figures of interest, but they do have a loyal following. Here's a couple pictures of some of latest just to enjoy. I also noticed yours had the rather rare "Butt Walnut" woodgrain.  Most are Burled Carpathian Elm with American Walnut trim. Nice car 'Riv...

post-115850-0-42736200-1434369727_thumb.

post-115850-0-29718100-1434369838_thumb.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 8 years later...

Apologies for resurrecting such and Old (But Fantastic) thread.  This thread is one of the few that I have been able to find information and photos of a Burr Ripley oil filter conversion for the L6 on the 34 Packards.  I have a Ripley filter on my 34 1104, but need to find some help in how to do the conversion and connection on the spin on filter from Napa.  

Anyone out there who has prepared a replacement filter, or would consider preparing a filter for me to replace my old filter (last changed in 2013)

THANKS

IMG_7207.jpeg

IMG_7210.jpeg

IMG_2264.JPG

IMG_2262.JPG

Edited by DWS1104 (see edit history)
  • Like 3

@DWS1104 Nice, nice Packard.  Have you been in touch with Dave Czir(sp)? Who maintains the Packard Club website or posted on Packard info.com? Dave has a 34 I believe 1104 sedan to call him an expert is an understatement.  I can't imagine this info isn't available through either of those sources.

Alternatively you might do what I did with my aftermarket cannister type filter - take the old one off, drain as much as possible bag it and bring to a parts store on a slow day.  A good counter guy will work with you on it.  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Steve_Mack_CT said:

@DWS1104 Nice, nice Packard.  Have you been in touch with Dave Czir(sp)? Who maintains the Packard Club website or posted on Packard info.com? Dave has a 34 I believe 1104 sedan to call him an expert is an understatement.  I can't imagine this info isn't available through either of those sources.

Alternatively you might do what I did with my aftermarket cannister type filter - take the old one off, drain as much as possible bag it and bring to a parts store on a slow day.  A good counter guy will work with you on it.  

X2 on this. His name is Dave Czirr and his car is an amazing all original 1100 like the one I had only much nicer. I remember my Ripley filter came with two modified filter inserts, I never used the second one and it went to the new owner when I sold the car.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, TexRiv_63 said:

X2 on this. His name is Dave Czirr and his car is an amazing all original 1100 like the one I had only much nicer. I remember my Ripley filter came with two modified filter inserts, I never used the second one and it went to the new owner when I sold the car.

Dave is looking for a Ripley filter, too...

I have a couple ideas on how to do the modification.  I'm not taking apart the existing filter cartridge - it's going back on the car while I toy with a few Napa filters.

21 hours ago, DWS1104 said:

Dave is looking for a Ripley filter, too...

I have a couple ideas on how to do the modification.  I'm not taking apart the existing filter cartridge - it's going back on the car while I toy with a few Napa filters.

I know that others were making and selling this type of modern filter conversion after Burr passed, but cannot remember who.

2 hours ago, TexRiv_63 said:

I know that others were making and selling this type of modern filter conversion after Burr passed, but cannot remember who.

The Internet can't find them...  So, therefore, they don't exist. 🙂

5 hours ago, Laughing Coyote said:

Doesn't look to hard to fabricate something. If it's just a spin on filter that goes inside of the can.

Nothing too fancy.  The toughest part will be holding the alignment while brazing the fittings onto the filter housing.

Suggestions for choice of brazing rod and flux? I am not experienced with choices in brazing.

post-51036-143141817358.jpg

Edited by DWS1104 (see edit history)