1937 Ford Woodie garage find!

Guest shelby73

Guest shelby73

I thought I would share some pictures with you of a 37 Woodie I purchased around Thanksgiving 2012. One day a man I know was eating lunch beside a fellow and old cars came up and he told the fellow he should come look at the 40 Woodie I had in our show room which was across the street. The fellow replied my brother still has the Woodie my dad bought new. Thank goodness the fellow I know got his phone number and brought it to me and said I may want to check it out. I called the fellow and he told me the story and gave me his brothers number. I called the man and he said yes he had it but wanted to keep it and possibly get someone to restore it. To make a long story short I called him for the next 5 years and finally one day he said he was ready to do something. By the way he would never let me come look at it so I really had no idea what it looked like or what shape it was in, he said he had put it in his garage in 1963 when he built his house and had piled junk around it and he could not even see it. Me and my boy started out early the next morning to go take a look at the car which was a little over 2 hours away I'm in N.C. by the way. The man was a retired Professor from Duke University. I looked at the car for 10 minutes and bought it. Here are a few pictures of us loading it up. The car is 100% original paint and wood unrestored. I could only upload one picture, this was the man that owned it his dad bought it new in Charlotte. He was 82 years old.

post-92060-143141804868_thumb.jpg

Edited by shelby73 (see edit history)

Wow, great find....and great follow up on a lead....I'm slowing down considerably on my vehicle acquisitions, but when I was buying quite a few cars, one lesson learned was to ALWAYS follow up on a lead. If someone mentioned a car, or someone who had a car, that sounded interesting, then go after it.

Hope you plan to keep it all original, and not fall prey to the "gotta restore it to show it" philosophy.....congrats!

Guest Rob McDonald

shelby73, YOU ARE A GOD! Fabulous car, great colour, nice story. What more could a guy ask for except, no termites!

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Congrats on your purchase. I have a 1937 Ford woody myself. It is a unrestored original 2 owner no rust TX car. I am considering selling it as a package w/a 1941 17' Chris Craft barrel back wooden boat. I am trying to understand what the market is for a unrestored model. Would you be willing to let me know what you had to pay? If you don't want to post it send me an email jrhoades34@gmail.com. Look forward to hearing back from you. J