Preservation awards judging - how different?

Guest Henryat1140

Guest Henryat1140

I'm just wondering how the judging for a first preservation might differ from the judging for the Junior or Senior award.

There are two areas of interest: deterioration of the restoration and addling of non authentic items.

After the First Senior, it may be the owner has used the car for touring with the inevitable stone chips and wear and tear on the paint and undercarriage. Also the owner may have added items to the car which are not strictly authentic, for example a set of dial exhausts.

When the car is judged for a First Preservation are there allowances made for these kind of items? Is it as rigorous a judging as for the Junior or Senior award?

Thanks

Judging for a FIRST PRESERVATION is intended to be just as rigorous, and exactly the same as judging for a JUNIOR or a SENIOR. There is no intended allowance for wear or usage, nor is there an allowance for deterioration, and non-authentic items receive the same deduction as if you were judged for JUNIOR/SENIOR.

As Restorer32 properly stated, the required points is the only difference is the number of points required.

To obtain a FIRST JUNIOR, the vehicle must attain a minimum of 365 out of 400 points, AND must be within 10 points of the highest scoring entrant in its judged class.

To obtain a SENIOR, the vehicle must attain a minimum of 375 out of 400 points, AND must be within 10 points of the highest scoring entrant in its judged class.

To obtain a FIRST (or REPEAT) PRESERVATION, the vehicle must attain a minimum of 350 out of 400 points. There is no point spread to be considered.

To obtain a FIRST GRAND NATIONAL, the vehicle must attain a minimum of 380 out of 400 points, AND must be within 5 points of the highest scoring entrant in its judged class.

To obtain a SENIOR GRAND NATIONAL, the vehicle must attain a minimum of 390 out of 400 points. There is no point spread to be considered.

I hope this helps,

Marty Roth

Senior Master Judge

Henry,

The only iota I can add to Jeff's and Marty's very good response is the AACA encourages getting your vehicle (s) out and drive them after seeking the initial awards you strived to attain. With that being said the reduced minimum of 350 points for Preservation is intended to allow for some chips from being on the road however you must strive to keep the vehicle as it came from the factory to include component condition as best you can.

My 2 cents...

Peter J.

I'm just wondering how the judging for a first preservation might differ from the judging for the Junior or Senior award.

There are two areas of interest: deterioration of the restoration and addling of non authentic items.

After the First Senior, it may be the owner has used the car for touring with the inevitable stone chips and wear and tear on the paint and undercarriage. Also the owner may have added items to the car which are not strictly authentic, for example a set of dial exhausts.

When the car is judged for a First Preservation are there allowances made for these kind of items? Is it as rigorous a judging as for the Junior or Senior award?

Thanks

Welcome Henryat1140. :)

An additional option to folks like you that have added non-authentic items to increase their enjoyment, comfort and reliability of the vehicle during touring is the Driver Participation Class (AKA DPC). Like HPOF it is a certification type of class rather than a judged class.

Here is the link to the 2013 Judging Guidelines. http://www.aaca.org/images/meet_brochures/2013_Judging_Guidelines.pdf

You can find information about the DPC class starting on page 62.

Edited by Shop Rat (see edit history)

After many years of judging, I can't think of a preservation award denied if major modification were not made after the Senior award was given. With only needing 350 points and no 10 point spread needed it would take a lot of wear and tear not to qualify.

Guest tcuda340

As I always tell people "unless you barrel-roll your car into the parking spot you'll get your preservation". Although at the last few meets they've been point judging presrvation, which doesn't really make sense to me unless those doing the judging are new to AACA judging.

At times we do point judge preservations if the Team Captain or the team as a whole feels that the vehicle may not make the minimum. And if we are told at the judge's breakfast to point judge the preservations/repeat preservations we do as we are instructed by the Chief Judge.

Guest tcuda340

AAahhhh, I stand corrected................I'll remember that for the spring meet this year ;)

I did have the one judge up at Hershey this year question my non-working dome light ( battery was disconnected ), even asked one of the other judges after I explained what was wrong and offered to reconnect battery to prove it worked. Kinda left me scratching my head after that one.

The thing that many antique vehicle owners aren't aware of is that not only have many/most of them shown at all kinds of shows with all types of judging....but many judges have also. And have judged/do judge for other clubs. And some find it difficult to switch gears to the AACA method of judging. Many Marque clubs are VERY strict when it comes to how they judge at their shows. Concours shows have the hoods and trunks and sometimes the convertible tops down when they judge. That is where a good Team Captain/Certified Team Captain keeps an eye out for judges that forget which meet they are judging at. :rolleyes:

• 1 month later...
Guest CarGroom
Hey Marty Roth, how about doing a copy and paste of what you wrote as a separate thread and "sticky" it as AJFord54 suggested? :)

I would be interested to read that as well.