1949 Chrysler New-Yorker

Guest COLIN HOOPER

Guest COLIN HOOPER

Hi you guys I have fitted a Petronix Ignition system to my 1949 Chrysler New-yorker engine NoC46-3573 and I'm having problems with the prestomatic transmission as you will know the gear change solinoid etc is wired to the ignition system, my problem is in the high ratio 3rd-4th range it will not change down on the slow-down or stop when in 4th gear however the kickdown works OK.

What do you think

Cheers Colin UK

Did it work ok before the after market import kit? Is it 6V or 12V? If the M-6 system has no power at all to it, it will upshift imediately and stay in high 4th gear until you come to a complete stop and hold the clutch in, wait 5 seconds or so and it will pull out of 4th automatically with no torque load on the direct clutch gear and sleeve.

The ignition system needs to be "killed" for a split second to relieve torque on the direct speed clutch gear so it can pull out of 4th gear on a throttle forced kick down and during a auto downshift.

• 1 year later...
Guest COLIN HOOPER
Did it work ok before the after market import kit? Is it 6V or 12V? If the M-6 system has no power at all to it, it will upshift imediately and stay in high 4th gear until you come to a complete stop and hold the clutch in, wait 5 seconds or so and it will pull out of 4th automatically with no torque load on the direct clutch gear and sleeve.

The ignition system needs to be "killed" for a split second to relieve torque on the direct speed clutch gear so it can pull out of 4th gear on a throttle forced kick down and during a auto downshift.

Hi I have checked the wiring on all the transmission componants even changed the interupter switch, I have replaced all the wires to the goveror, interrupter switch, solenoid, circuit breaker and resistor, I have also rewired the kickdown switch and anti-stall solenoid. The problem appears to be that the ignition cut-off is not taking place to allow load to come off transmission gears, I think that the Petronix wiring is wrong, has anyone out there got a wiring diagram for eletronic ignition on a C46 engine running on 6 volts.

Guest COLIN HOOPER
Have you tried putting the points back in and throwing the Pertronix in the bin?

Have you tried asking Pertronix these questions?

I have asked Petronix they don't have a clue, so I think the next job is try the old points, I'll let you know the out come later. Cheers

Guest Tusler 49 New Yorker

I have not changed ignition or anything but have a similar problem with my 49 New Yorker not shifting from 4th back to 3rd when I come to a stop so I just started putting in the clutch for a couple of seconds and let it back out before I stop to unload the trans and when I take off it is in 3rd everytime.

You might want to clean the points in the governor on the transmission. Sometimes after 50 years or more they get dirty and do not shift at the right time. Be careful, they are soft silver. A squirt of contact cleaner and pull a piece of white paper through them. The governor is on the right side of the trans, on the outside, not hard to get at from under the car or thru an access plate in the floor.

I did not suggest this to the OP because he made it clear, his problem came from the pertronix.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest COLIN HOOPER
I have asked Petronix they don't have a clue, so I think the next job is try the old points, I'll let you know the out come later. Cheers
Hi you guys, I have refitted the old points system using new condenser and new 6 volt coil, hopefully this will give it the best chance, I have again checked out the wiring and cleaned the governer points as to the instructions in the w/shop manual.

I have tested the car on the road and it will still not change down on the slowdown in high range, however it will change down when you pull away moving at about 10 miles per hour ( simular to the kickdown change ).

When I put the car in low range it will pull away in 1st and change up to 2nd at the correct road speed, and when I slow down it will change down to to 1st at the correct road speed and stay in 1st until the road speed is increased again. ( the gear changing in low range is perfect ).

I have tested the system with the rear wheels jacked up and the the car in gear (high range) with the engine running, I have removed the interupter switch, the direct speed piston moves as the w/shop manual shows. However when I replace the interupter switch and put a check light across to the solenoid to check the switch operation the light only shows when the direct speed piston moves forward, it will not light-up when the piston moves rearward I have tried a new switch. (Have I got it wired wrong somewhere)

Any Ideas!!!!!

How did it work before you started messing with it?

How is your idle speed? Supposed to be 400RPM, about half a modern car. Will not shift down until RPM drops.

There is a web site with all the original factory diagnostic books of that transmission system. It is a Chrysler Imperial Club web site. I have linked to it so many times my fingers will bleed if I search it out again so I will leave it to you. Search 1949 Imperial, or do a search on this site for Fluid Drive and look at one of the thousands of posts about fixing them.