For Sale - Complete set of 1953-1954 Wheaties Cereal Miniature License Plates

A set of 1953 Canadian Bicycle License Plates that were a Wheaties Cereal promotion issued by General Mills Inc. Includes 11 Canadian provinces. In excellent NOS - Never used condition. These plates are between 4 and 5 inches long. $130.00

A set of 1953  Foreign Bicycle License Plates that were a Wheaties Cereal promotion issued by General Mills Inc. Includes Iran, Malta, Denmark, Cuba, Egypt, Dominican Republic, Turkey, Monaco, Switzerland, Netherlands, Portugal, Italy and A Maharajah plate. In excellent NOS - Never used condition. These plates are between 4 and 5 inches long. $130.00

CALL 440 382-8161

P1016170.JPG

Edited by gregscars (see edit history)

• 1 year later...
Guest jamestfagan
WOW !! What a score.

I bet these are gone before you know it.

I have a complete set from 1954. I would also like a complete set from 1953. How much are you charging?

• 2 years later...
Guest 1953-1954 Wheaties Plates

The checklist for these plates as set forth above is confused. Let me set the record straight. I know-I collected these plates (Yes, I'm pretty old)!  In 1953 a plate came attached to every specially marked box of Wheaties. There were 80 plates in all -- 49 U.S. (48 states and D.C.), 5 U.S. Territories (VI, GU, CZ, AK, HI), 12 Canadian provinces, and 14 assorted foreign. 

The 1954 plates were available only by mail from General Mills. They came 5 plates to a mailer and cost a quarter. There were 49 plates (48 states and D.C.) No territories, Canadian or foreign plates were issued. A complete collection is 129 plates. No plates from this series were issued after 1954. The plates vary from 4" to 5" in length and are about 2" high.

I have the 129-plate collection, all plates in excellent condition. I also have 5 of the original 1954 mailers and a repro of a period advertisement.

My kids/grandkids aren't interested, and I am downsizing.  The plates are contained in two photo albums.  Is there anyone out there who will make me a reasonable offer? Best offer at or above $5 per plate will be accepted.  I wish I had kept my baseball cards instead. Mark R. Dawson.

19 hours ago, 1953-1954 Wheaties Plates said:

...No plates from this series were issued after 1954. ...

They were issued, also, much later than 1954.

Miniature license plate with later dates and designs

were issued in ensuing decades, too.

As a child, I got them from Post cereal boxes.

Up here in Wisconsin the license plate collectors only know about the Wheaties 53 & 54 runs and the Backer Chocolate 1959 USA plates.   If you have any pix I would like to know what years Post did it.  In addition to old cars I collect license plates. 

To reply to John S in Penna: It is true that various sorts of miniature plates have been issued by various entities in the years following 1953-1954.  However, i fail to understand what that has to do with the original General Mills issuance of 1953 and 1954.

To respond C Carl: The answer is yes - Pete Rose.  "When i swing for the home run seaties, I get my eaties from my Wheaties."  

On 6/28/2017 at 5:27 PM, Curti said:

Up here in Wisconsin the license plate collectors only know about the Wheaties 53 & 54 runs and the Backer Chocolate 1959 USA plates.   If you have any pix I would like to know what years Post did it.  In addition to old cars I collect license plates. 

I am not an expert on toy license plates,

but I did a search on Google Images with the phrase,

" 'license plates' in cereal."  Pictures were shown

of toy plates--likely the same size as 1953 and 1954--

dated 1964, 1968, 1977 or 1978, and 1982, and 1984.

Other years too.  They were in cereal boxes just as they

were long ago in 1953 and 1954, and they were an

unusually high-quality cereal premium made of embossed metal.

There were also some pictures of toy plates dated 1939,

though those appear to be made of a heavy card stock.

It makes sense that the same promotion would be repeated

occasionally:  Each time they are issued, there is a new

crop of interested children ready to collect them.

junk--license plate toy 1970.jpg

junk--license plate toy 1979.jpg

junk--license plate toy 1982-84.jpg

Edited by John_S_in_Penna (see edit history)

• 1 year later...
On 6/27/2017 at 8:30 PM, 1953-1954 Wheaties Plates said:

The checklist for these plates as set forth above is confused. Let me set the record straight. I know-I collected these plates (Yes, I'm pretty old)!  In 1953 a plate came attached to every specially marked box of Wheaties. There were 80 plates in all -- 49 U.S. (48 states and D.C.), 5 U.S. Territories (VI, GU, CZ, AK, HI), 12 Canadian provinces, and 14 assorted foreign. 

The 1954 plates were available only by mail from General Mills. They came 5 plates to a mailer and cost a quarter. There were 49 plates (48 states and D.C.) No territories, Canadian or foreign plates were issued. A complete collection is 129 plates. No plates from this series were issued after 1954. The plates vary from 4" to 5" in length and are about 2" high.

I have the 129-plate collection, all plates in excellent condition. I also have 5 of the original 1954 mailers and a repro of a period advertisement.

My kids/grandkids aren't interested, and I am downsizing.  The plates are contained in two photo albums.  Is there anyone out there who will make me a reasonable offer? Best offer at or above $5 per plate will be accepted.  I wish I had kept my baseball cards instead. Mark R. Dawson.

Howdy Mr Dawson. We're interested in your plates. Mike 252-341-3370