1955 Ford Thunderbird Info.

Guest UniqueCollector

Guest UniqueCollector

I had a question about a 55 thunderbird.

In its state now is $7000 the right price?

Mobile Photobucket

I was told the chassis and engine match but it right now is on another chassis. It is solid. Had been hit in the rear so comes with an extra rea clip. It pretty much an basket case. Nothing is cataloged so I don't know what is missing. One thing it doesn't have is the title.

Well, you asked an opinion, just like other things, everyone has one, here's mine.

As the old adage goes, if someone gave you this car, you'd be in the hole day one.

For around $20,000, you can buy a nice driver quality car ('55 Tbird). A little more will get you the better 1956. So, if you pay $7000 for this, do you think you can do paint, chrome, upholstery, engine and mechanical work, and all the hundreds of trim pieces you'd need to buy new, for $13,000? No way.

If you want an early 'Bird, get the money together and buy a good one to start.........you'll be way ahead of the game in the end....

Guest UniqueCollector

I want as many opinions as possible.

So the car is pretty much better for someone who is looking for parts.

Glad everyone is nice here. I don't feel like I am getting attacked.

Guest UniqueCollector

Thanks.

Maybe I can get the guy to drop down to $5000 for everything so it gives me a small portion to work with but otherwise I will pass and look for something else to restore

• 8 months later...
Guest Mangon1

The condition of a bird you can get for $20k will pale in comparison to your restoration if done correctly! You need to start with a solid car, numbers matching , to make it worth while, anyway the challenge is in the restoration, anyone can buy a car, have fun.

Guest billybird

I would pass on this one at even 5K. While it would make an impressive "before and after" restoration book, based strictly on a monetary standpoint, I would look for a better car. Of course the car could be restored if thats what you wanted to do bad enough.