1929 Franklin 13A-model 137

Guest Kutchie

Guest Kutchie

The car is a 1929 Franklin 13a model 137, 7 passenger limousine. The Franklin is an air cooled engine; a straight 8. Our research indicated that there are 6 in existence; ours, one in northern CA, 2 in New York, one in a museum in Denmark and one in a museum in New Zealand. We have all the newsletters and magazines published by the H.H. Franklin Club going back 25+ years or so that have plans and contacts in them. We have extra parts, lots of duplicates, blocks, 2 sets of different types of wheel rims. We have almost all the parts. There is one part of the linkage that is missing, but blue prints can be ordered for it from the club archives and it can be machined. The engine was running fine when we bought it, but has not been started in years.

post-91879-143141790589_thumb.jpeg

post-91879-143141790585_thumb.jpeg

Guest Kutchie
The car is a 1929 Franklin 13a model 137, 7 passenger limousine. The Franklin is an air cooled engine; a straight 8. Our research indicated that there are 6 in existence; ours, one in northern CA, 2 in New York, one in a museum in Denmark and one in a museum in New Zealand. We have all the newsletters and magazines published by the H.H. Franklin Club going back 25+ years or so that have plans and contacts in them. We have extra parts, lots of duplicates, blocks, 2 sets of different types of wheel rims. We have almost all the parts. There is one part of the linkage that is missing, but blue prints can be ordered for it from the club archives and it can be machined. The engine was running fine when we bought it, but has not been started in years.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]182025[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]182026[/ATTACH]

I apologize, the car must have a six-cylinder engine because that's all they made, as far as I can tell. I am selling this car for my neighbors and they gave me the wrong information. Thanks for bringing it to my attention.

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I think your census of surviving cars is off a bit. I do not see my cars listed among the survivors. I have two 137 7 passengers (like your car) and live in Michigan. I know of several others you have not mentioned. My guess is there must be about 30-50 of them that have survived. Mike, maybe you have a better estimate?

Eric

Eric , I said nothing about how many are left... I asked how many dollars he wants for it period. $1000.00 $10,000.00 $20,000.00 .He must know what dollar about he will not accept . If he adds $$$$ to that number ,that is how much he is asking. Thank you Mike

Mike, I should have been more specific. I was stating to the seller that I felt his census of surviving cars was off but it appeared I was replying to you. Sorry for the confusion. However, my additional comment was directed to you though, as I know you have a pretty good handle on the Franklin world and may have been able to comment on the number of surviving cars. I too would be curious how much the seller wants for the car. I know how much I paid for one in similar condition about 8 years ago but that probably means very little today. So, Kutchie, how much are you asking?

Thanks guys,

Eric

I think your census of surviving cars is off a bit. I do not see my cars listed among the survivors. I have two 137 7 passengers (like your car) and live in Michigan. I know of several others you have not mentioned. My guess is there must be about 30-50 of them that have survived. Mike, maybe you have a better estimate?

Eric

PLEASE. PLEASE..PLEASE! Let the HHFC Registrar know about your cars that are not listed as well as any other such cars that you know about. The registrar is not omniscient and relies upon owners' input to keep the registry up to date.

The Email and postal addresses are in the registry along with a form to mail in if possible. The Email address is also in the ACN but has an obvious typo.

I am reluctant to post those addresses in an open forum but if you send me a PM, I will respond with the form and addresses.

Thanks,

Edited by Franklin-Madman (see edit history)

The long wheel base car is more scarce that the 5 pass model . If the buyer is looking for a great car to fix and enjoy , this would make a good one. 1929 parts are plentiful and they are a great driver. I would say this is a $5000.00 car tops in this condition. Doug Hull has some 29s for sale for a bit more in better condition. Just my opinion without seeing the car.

I would agree. That is what I paid for the better of the two of my cars, both 137 7-passengers, and I probably over-paid for it. Recently there was a '29 137 7-passenger that was restored, albeit with the wrong wheels on it, that sold for about $16,000. No way could someone buy the car here for any more than $5000 and restore it for another $11,000 without it being a real labor of love. On the other hand, if you do fall in love with these cars, as I certainly have, it would be a good car to start with.

E-

• 4 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
Guest Dadsbestcar

I own a 1925 Franklin Model 11 MS 4 door sedan in Central Ohio. I know that is not the year you are discussing. Do I need to get it registered with the Franklin Automobile Club? thanks

Scott

• 4 months later...