Nothing new

Guest Magoo

At the Auburn Cord Duesenberg Museum in Auburn, Indiana, there's a Westcott on display. 1916 Model 42 Touring; 121-in. wheelbase, 42 hp, curb wt 3000 lbs, $1445.

The Westcott was manufactured in Richmond, Indiana, which is about 20 miles from the Connersville Auburn plant in southeast Indiana. I seem to recall there is some kind of connection between the companies in facilities or suchlike, but I can't recall it at the moment.

1916westcottmodel42tour.jpg

Here's another shot of a Westcott

[TABLE=class: tborder, width: 100%, align: center]

<tbody>[TR]

[TD=class: alt2, width: 175][/TD]

[TD=class: alt1]<!-- icon and title -->icon1.gifRe: Vintage shots from days gone by!

<!-- / icon and title --><!-- message -->29102v.jpg

Wescott Car, Herald Booster run, [5/6/20]

http://www.loc.gov/pictures/resource/npcc.29102

[/TD]

[/TR]

</tbody>[/TABLE]

Guest Graham Clayton

The original photo is of the EJ Quinn Motor Car Co dealership at 824th Fourteenth Street in Washington DC, in March 1920. The car in the display is a 1920 Model C-48 tourer.

When the Westcott company moved from Richmond, IN to Springfield, OH in 1916, company head Burton J Westcott was elected mayor of Springfield in 1921.

Some years ago in a Glidden Tour I had the pleasyre of meeting Betty Westcott - a delightful lady with much knowledge of the company and family history -- I wish I had recorded her thoughts!

• 1 year later...

Dave,

I ran across the Westcott Motor Car pics you have posted in an Internet search. Do you have a specific interest in the Westcott or were you just atttracted by the similarity in the Westcott and VW logos.

I ask because I am a volunteer docent and researcher at the Westcott House in Springfield, Ohio. The Westcott House is a Frank Lloyd Wright designed home built for Burton Westcott, the founder of the Westcott Motor Car Co. Please let me know if there is more than a passing interest in the Westcott. We may be able to exchange some information.

Here is a photo of a 1920 Westcott parked outside the house.

regards,

post-103189-14314272546_thumb.jpg

HGRoot, There are many of us who love the history of cars, especially the forgotten one. I am quite interested in Indiana cars. I'm a bit of a Marmon fanatic but all Indiana cars are cool. I saw the car in Auburn this summer and would love to know more. Please feel free to overshare!!

HG - I am interested in your research also. I am curious as to the photo that you posted. Is that a vintage picture? Or is that a recent composition, with three elements (house, car, signature) blended to look old? I want to believe the latter as I believe this is the same car. Maybe?

post-80801-143142727508_thumb.jpg

Thanks for your help,

Chuck in Kansas

post-80801-143142727479_thumb.jpg

Dave,

I ran across the Westcott Motor Car pics you have posted in an Internet search. Do you have a specific interest in the Westcott or were you just atttracted by the similarity in the Westcott and VW logos.

I ask because I am a volunteer docent and researcher at the Westcott House in Springfield, Ohio. The Westcott House is a Frank Lloyd Wright designed home built for Burton Westcott, the founder of the Westcott Motor Car Co. Please let me know if there is more than a passing interest in the Westcott. We may be able to exchange some information.

Here is a photo of a 1920 Westcott parked outside the house.

regards,

[ATTACH=CONFIG]270027[/ATTACH]

I don't have any special interest in the Westcott, I just saw that picture on a site that posts a lot of carpics but I'm glad it attracted you to the site and I hope you'll come back often and share your knowledge. You know, there's also a company named Wescott. They make fiberglass bodies for Model As and 32 Fords.