hi

thanks to anyone for taking time to help me decode vin # on 1977 MG roadster

VIN # is: GAN6UH19164G

thanks

jerry whitfield

winston salem NC

The numbers decodes as follows:

G: MG

H: Engine between 1400 and 2000 cc. (This should be an H, not an A. There was no A in this place.)

N: Body = 2 seat roadster

5: Mark III or later (post 1969, all MGBs) (This should be an 5, not a 6. There was no 6 in this place.)

U: North American specification car

H: 1978 model year of manufacture

19164: Sequential number*

G: Abingdon factory

* The Original MGB by Anders Clausager, which I used to decode this VIN, says that 1978 model year production numbers ran from 447001 through 468880. Your number does not fit that sequence at all. A number that low would have been for an early 1970 model year car, which would not have the other characters you VIN has. This should be investigated.

• 9 months later...

I know it's an old thread, but the previous poster had it a bit wrong. This car is an MG Midget, not an MGB.

G: MG

A: Small capacity (originally A series engine)

N: Open two seater sports car (A+N = Midget)

6: 6th series of this car, 1975-1979 = 1500cc

U: USA version

H: Model Year 1977

19164: car number. 1977 model year starts at 182001 (August 1976 build date). OP must have left out a digit.

G: Abingdon

• 9 years later...
6 hours ago, Colemanx5 said:

Are any of you still around? Just picked up a project car and looking for any info because I can find. Fingers crossed

What car do you have?  What year is it?  What do you want to know?

• 5 weeks later...

Hi John, sorry for the delay. I have a 77 MGB, not running but in over all good shape. I'm wanting to know if there is a good place to get parts from our just look around on the internet and pick one to work with. I'm getting ready to pull the engine and transmission today because the owner said it was parked because the clutch/throw out bearing is bad, and the new parts came with the car. Give me a reason to clean it all up and add some new paint to give it a nice look. It hasn't run in several years; it's been in a garage sitting on jack stands and collecting dust. Should I pull the gas tank and have it cleaned out or just pick up a new tank? Think the brakes front and rear will get replaced.  After the engine is done not really sure where to start. Any thoughts would be great. Thanks!

• 1 month later...
On 6/16/2023 at 10:18 AM, Colemanx5 said:

Hi John, sorry for the delay. I have a 77 MGB, not running but in over all good shape. I'm wanting to know if there is a good place to get parts from our just look around on the internet and pick one to work with. I'm getting ready to pull the engine and transmission today because the owner said it was parked because the clutch/throw out bearing is bad, and the new parts came with the car. Give me a reason to clean it all up and add some new paint to give it a nice look. It hasn't run in several years; it's been in a garage sitting on jack stands and collecting dust. Should I pull the gas tank and have it cleaned out or just pick up a new tank? Think the brakes front and rear will get replaced.  After the engine is done not really sure where to start. Any thoughts would be great. Thanks!

I’m just now seeing this. Sorry for the delay, I don’t visit this part of the forum very often. 

congratulations on getting an MGB. They have quite a following and lots of people are having fun with them. As for a parts supplier, Moss motors has a lot to offer and will be a source for parts as well as instructions for bringing your car back to life.   For help and advice with your car, you will get a lot more information and make Friends with fellow MG owners by spending time on the MG Experience. 

https://www.mgexp.com/forum/

Check it out. Almost anything you might do, has been done before and is on that site. 

fuel issues are always a problem in cars that sit for a long time.   You could probably have your tank professionally cleaned or maybe even do it yourself and there are threads  to read about on that site (mg experience) but there are definitely aftermarket options to get a brand new one. you want to start with A clean tank, open fuel lines, a functioning electronic fuel pump (with a spare in your glove box), and a carb cleaning/rebuild (at a minimum). 

you don’t say how much experience you have with cars but MGB’s are fairly simple.   There are several articles on this site about waking up a car that has been sitting for a long time. Read through those for some good advice. 

post pictures and keep us updated. Good luck and ask others for help. It’s what we all do!

John