Di-noc test material

53buickconvert

post-61997-143141786945_thumb.jpgI have been trying to track down some di-noc material for my Roadmaster. There have been some helpful suggestions from people on this forum, but so far, I have not found any red and black material. I have a friend that has a printing business and we have been testing out different materials. Here is one that we tried but it has small perforations to get the bubbles out. The problem is that as it is applied around the ignition switch, the perforations allow air to get under and create a bubble.

post-61997-143141786936_thumb.jpg

post-61997-143141786941_thumb.jpg

Guest BigDogDaddy

That looks really good ! In the picture it is hard to see if there is a bubble. I have not seen red Di-noc offered by anyone either.

Have you tried using a thinner paper (decal transfer paper) and spraying the backside with a clear lacquer for more stretch and flexibility.....similar to the 1950's day of building car and airplane models with slide-off decals.....after you soaked them in warm water? The paper in your second pic looks pretty stiff.....is it bond paper with an adhesive backing?

There is an informative two-page article in the 1953 BUICK PRODUCT SERVICE BULLETINS with tips on how to install the original DI-NOC TRANSFERS....."flexible sheets of lacquer film that are applied to lacquer painted surfaces with a special cementing solution." Send me a PM with your email address if you don't have a copy.

Looking good though.

Al Malachowski

BCA #8965

"500 Miles West of Flint"

If it were me I would find out who is actually making the current DI-NOC and then track them down and see if they could tool for a red run. How hard could it be if they are already doing other colors or even just black. Just change the pigment.

That way you may be able to specify a thinner overall material as well or just go with theirs. I too agree that the bonded material you have may be just a little too thick for the compound roll around the ignition.

Another thought here. I have done a lot of fiberglass work and the air bubble thing is a problem there too. Since you are working with heat could you find a sprayable solution that could be added to the metal substrate that would aid in the sliding and positioning of the NI-DOC? That way a soft edged rubber squeegee could be used as a application tool to help coax the air from this area out to the edges. You have to do the same thing when working with fiberglass. The liquid in fiberglass is the resin itself and aids in lending the ability to slide and fit as you apply the glass mat. Here too may be your solution. The air has to be worked out to the sides somehow or it gets trapped.

Then once the NI-DOC is fitted after heating and working it over with the rubber squeegee, you could conceivably remove the newly formed NI-DOC add a heat assisted whisper thin bonding agent to the backside or surface of the dash, or both, let it flash, then reapply the cooled pre-formed NI-DOC while utilizing the squeegee.

Just my thoughts on this. Let us know what you come up with as a solution.

Edited by buick man (see edit history)

Di-Noc is a 3M brand of decorative adhesive coverings.

I just bought some rosewood wood grain (same stuff they used on station wagons)

to finish off the inside cargo area of my 51 Chevy panel truck.

It ain't cheap either, but they have a large amount of textures and patterns; they use a lot of it

for wall coverings in commercial and office properties.

m