1967 Tempest with super turbine 300

Guest gmue38

Guest gmue38

I have recently acquired a 1967 Tempest with a 326 engine and I believe a super turbine 300 2 speed transmission and 65,000 original miles on the car itself. The motor was completely rebuilt and put back into the car. The transmission worked before the motor was pulled and did not once it was put back in. This was all done in the late 80's and early 90's. the only work done on the trans was the replacement of the front and rear seals when the other work was done on the motor. (all prior to me getting the car) I am thinking that it should be a simple fix (I hope) and that someone out there can help give me some suggestions of where to start looking. I have checked the fluid level in the trans, I have also pulled the inspection plate to verify that the torque converter was bolted to the flywheel (was hoping it would be that simple). I am thinking that would leave a vacuum line issue or a pump issue. Any suggestions on how to check these theories, or an idea of where to start looking.

Thanks.

I have recently acquired a 1967 Tempest with a 326 engine and I believe a super turbine 300 2 speed transmission and 65,000 original miles on the car itself. The motor was completely rebuilt and put back into the car. The transmission worked before the motor was pulled and did not once it was put back in. This was all done in the late 80's and early 90's. the only work done on the trans was the replacement of the front and rear seals when the other work was done on the motor. (all prior to me getting the car) I am thinking that it should be a simple fix (I hope) and that someone out there can help give me some suggestions of where to start looking. I have checked the fluid level in the trans, I have also pulled the inspection plate to verify that the torque converter was bolted to the flywheel (was hoping it would be that simple). I am thinking that would leave a vacuum line issue or a pump issue. Any suggestions on how to check these theories, or an idea of where to start looking.

Thanks.

Well, lets start with what the Pontiac factory service manual for this trans says IF you have no drive in any gear. Here it is in ORDER of checking.

1. Check oil level

2. Check oil pressure

3. Check manual shift linkage adjustment

4. Check internal leakage

5. Check for defective pressure regulator valve

6. Check for defective front pump