Hardtop Shipping problem

Good day all. I just purchased a hardtop for my 89 TC that is in Indianapolis, IN. I have been trying to find a moving company to pick up and package for shipping to CA but no luck so far. Any TC owners in Indianapolis that would be will to pick up and deliver to someone who can package/palletize for shipment? I am more that willing to pay for your time and effort. Thanks.

post-89473-143141785854_thumb.jpg

I know this will not assist you in geting your hardtop from Indianapolis to California but I too was unknowing how dufficult it would be and I would like to provide this information for other buyers to see what they maybe facing. I would first of all suggest that 'don't buy a top unless you can travel to the selling location and pick it up'. As you can see from the pictures a hardtop is larger than the standard pallette and it has to be extended to safeguard it during shipping. The top weighs 85 pounds plus the weight of the pallette. Shipping via a common carrier will cost at least $200 on a point-to-point but if shipped from business to business it could be cheaper. I was fortunate in that the gentleman shipping the top had a contact in the shipping business and was able to construct the pallette and cover it with heavy cardboard and canvas and secured with metal bands. It made the trip in fine condition. The common carrier companies can prepare the top for shipping but they might charge $50 to $100 for doing that. Distance is also a determining factor in shipping. It was very dusty when it arrived but was not a problem. Remember that the top does not belong to those handling it in all steps of delivery and may not be as kind to it as you and the previous owners were. Shipping insurance can be purchased. I hope this helps anyone considering buying and shipping large car parts like a hardtop. If you go on eBay they can provide shippers names an numbers to contact for estimates plus you can also put it out for bids by carriers going from the locations involved at as price when they have space available on their trucks. Hope this helps new shippers. Bob

post-89473-143141785789_thumb.jpg

post-89473-143141785817_thumb.jpg

post-89473-143141785835_thumb.jpg

Good day all. I just purchased a hardtop for my 89 TC that is in Indianapolis, IN. I have been trying to find a moving company to pick up and package for shipping to CA but no luck so far. Any TC owners in Indianapolis that would be will to pick up and deliver to someone who can package/palletize for shipment? I am more that willing to pay for your time and effort. Thanks.

Maybe there is someone willing to transport it ON THEIR TC if they are headed for the TC National in Reno NV, in May. It's still a little out of the way, but maybe not so far if you are in Northern California.

I left a perfect YELLOW top at my old shop in Ventura when I moved out. Too much trouble moving & storing such a large item. Who knows, it may still be there if anyone is interested in it.

I should have looked where Red Bluff, CA is before the last message. It is just to the west of Reno Nevada, so is anyone headed to the National who would be willing to transport this top for a fellow TC owner?

You could meet in Reno. What a nice story that would be to tell at the Banquet.