Mystery Mirror found in NOS 57/58 Buick Factory Box - N.O.S or After Market ????

buick man

Hey yet another question regarding the 1957/58 Buick outside mirrors.

I posted this inquiry a couple of years ago regarding outside mirrors for these 57 models:

http://forums.aaca.org/f162/need-1957-outside-mirror-part-numbers-299252.html

Now I just got my hands on this factory box. Inside it was this mirror. No factory instructions, gasket etc. It is claimed to be for the passenger side of a 57/58 but when you turn it over and view the inside of the base underneath it is stamped the following:

1178040. Below that: M1203. Below that: RH. Off to the right side of 1178040 stamping is a small circle with a capital N stamped inside of the circle.

When compared side by side with my door mounted mirror one immediately notes that the backside of the mirror has a slightly greater pronounced convex treatment than my flatter backside of my Buick factory mirror. Another area of interested is where the mirror attaches to the base in the back of the mirror. On my car's mirror this area is flat and then pronounced right where the ball socket goes into the mirror. On this mirror of question the socket has a more pronounced "mound" where the ball socket attaches. Yet another thing is on the back side of the mirror is stamped a small diamond shaped insignia with 4 very small shapes inside of this diamond marking that takes a magnifying glass to see in detail. My original door mounted mirror does not have this diamond insignia stamped on the back side.

If this was indeed a 57/58 factory outside mirror, would not the numbers stamped inside the base of the mirror read 981824 if a factory produced mirror?

I think the mirror found inside of this box is either a 1957 Cadillac mirror ( But can't determine that since I do not have a 57 Cadillac parts book) or an old period correct "reproduction" NORS mirror made to look like the factory original but a little more bulbous on the backside along with this tell-tale diamond stamped insignia on the back as well, that my factory Buick mirror does not have.

So can anyone I.D. this mirror and it's correct application and manufacturer? Is it pure Buick for perhaps a later run of 58's? But if not Buick factory then is it a reproduction? Here are some photos and please let me know what you guys think:

Edit: Come to think of it what exactly is the difference between the Driver's and the Passenger's side mirrors? Can't really tell by photos of cars I have on my computer as I do not have a factory installed mirror on my passenger side for comparison. Is the base of the passenger side mirror a little longer to help position it so the driver can see it better or was the mount on the back locked in a different location as opposed to the driver's side. Another thought is perhaps the base neck and head where it attaches to the mirror backside itself is perhaps turned in a different direction than that of the driver's side?

post-56742-143141785044_thumb.jpg

post-56742-143141785074_thumb.jpg

post-56742-143141785101_thumb.jpg

post-56742-143141785127_thumb.jpg

post-56742-143141785154_thumb.jpg

post-56742-143141785183_thumb.jpg

post-56742-143141785209_thumb.jpg

post-56742-143141785239_thumb.jpg

post-56742-143141785266_thumb.jpg

post-56742-143141785292_thumb.jpg

post-56742-143141785318_thumb.jpg

Edited by buick man (see edit history)

O.K. then how about this. Does anyone have a factory confirmed 57/58 mirror on your parts bin shelf? If so - Could you look and see what the numbers are that are embossed on the bottom of it and report in. It would be for a nobel cause and much appreciated. Mine is mounted on the car and really don't want to dig into everything to get it off but will if I have to. This is from the factory parts numbers book but don't know what numbers should be on the under side. Just trying to confirm if the mirror I have is GM or not or a NORS piece:

post-56742-14314178625_thumb.jpg

post-56742-143141812947_thumb.jpgGosh now I am confused or this confirms that there were circa NORS mirrors made at the same time or just shortly after GM's production run for 57/58. This 1178040 could be a replacement mirror made by a firm other than the original mfr of GM mirrors as stated in the spec parts book above. As proof to this, I submit a link to an ebay guy who claims the mirror he is selling was taken off of a 1957 Buick Roadmaster and from the passenger side. He claims the part number is 1178040 just like the one I have shown above. Can't tell if it has the diamond embossed like mine but has the exact same appearing mound at the base attachment point and looks as thickish as mine as well.

So is this a non GM made/sactioned replacement mirror or non-sanctioned & less costly mirror produced to look like the original production run mirrors for 57/58 Buicks? Perhaps an after market for less costly mirrors than what the dealer was installing from GM? The as published GM mirror type for 57/58 GM Buick mirror is suppose to of came in a Buick Box with a part number 981824 and with a base casting number 138890 according to historical GM parts documentation available to me and shown above.

If this is so, should this 1178040 casting numbered mirror then be considered as much "non original" as the pacific rim cheaply chromed round repro's mirrors for the 57/58 that are popping up and being sold on such places as ebay and other classic car part vender's sites? But with that said, the quality of this 1178040 mirror is as high as the original on my 57 Roadie's drivers door.

So Oh well ...... This of course is strictly a historical Buick purist endeavor and question and aimed specifically for those of you who consider themselves as such. If my theory is correct then one could not use this mirror AND stay "completely GM original".

Does anyone have any illuminating thoughts, theories or comments regarding this to help solve the mystery?

EDIT UPDATE: The above fellow got back to me and confirmed the mirror he has on ebay was indeed taken off of a 57 Roadmaster and it has the same diamond shape emboss on the back and has the same casting numbers as well as the same Circle with the capital N inside of it. It is the same as the N.O.S. mirror I show at the top of this posting. One and the same. That means the dealer was most likely installing these mirrors as well and most likely was the only one's doing so. The identical yet slightly flatter backside one ( like the one on my driver's side door ) was most likely factory installed as I have never Not seen a 57 or 58 Roadie without this flatter version driver's side mirror prior to a restoration that is. My thoughts are this slightly more convex back mirror was purpose built for Buick ( post production ) but within the model year run. The greater back curve allows for the needed arching that is necessary when installing a mirror on the passenger's side due to the wrap around windshield. - Just some thoughts - Above are the photos of this guy's passenger side mirror posted here for posterity.

1957 Buick Right Hand Door Mirror | eBay

post-56742-143141812928_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

This is still being investigated but at present have concluded there is but only 2 acceptable passenger side type mirrors of this type. One that has the flat back like the standard issue driver's side everyone seems to have and the slightly more domed back one pictured on this my dead-end mirror post. Upon further investigation it appears the new replacement chinese version passenger side mirror is flat also. So were the clowns just copying the drivers side? That is, don't know if someone took a flat back driver's side over there for them to copy and just made it flat too or the one listed as the passenger side mirror in the original Buick parts pages above under accessories was flat also. If it was not, and the old rust pitted mirror referenced above which was reportedly taken off of a 57 Roadmaster is what the passenger side should look like and too has a domed back, then every flat one you see on the passenger side of a 1957 Buick would be an aftermarket mirror. I believe the 1958 mirrors were the same as the 1957 mirrors as well.

What does this all mean ? - If this assumption can be determined, then every 400 point judged car with the flat aftermarket passenger side mirror attached will need a point deduction. This will of course no doubt **** off a lot of folks out there with there 400 point tow behinds. But after all, right is right.