Anyone want a Bricklin?

Guest 48buickkid

Guest 48buickkid

I don't have pics but I've seen the car and guy wants to sell. $5500 its got 8300 miles. It has been sitting a long time out in the weather so Its not the nicest. Its located in Rimer, Ohio on 189. You really can't miss it. Serious inquiries only his number is 419 642 5655

Guest 48buickkid

nice plug:) I don't know what one of these is worth but I just know that aren't exactly common and figured maybe someone would want it. He had 2 at one point and sold the other. So someone into Bricklins may already know about this car. This one wasn't for sale at that time. I think its been sitting for 10 years. He keeps it well trimmed around the car usually.

When I was in high school in the early '70s I worked in a hardware store. There was a guy who was an engineer that used to shop there. He had one. It was a col car and I liked the gull wing doors. Couldn't see owning a 2 seater car. Fast forward 30 years and I now own 3 Reattas [2 seater cars]!

There is a reason you seldom see one with many miles on it.

You are saying that they are not tested tough??? What are the weak points. Parts availiblity??? Or is there a common problem with a drive train component? Just curious. One thing I see for certian, You will never see a Convertible with Gull Wing Doors...Dandy Dave!

I can offer some clarification to these comments..

The 1974 Bricklins were offered with the 360 AMC engine and Chrysler 727 automatic transmission, and perform well. Later Ford equipped models in 1975 are notorious for heating problems.

A well maintained Bricklin will certainly need fewer maintenance dollars than other cars I have owned, and will provide the owner with a unique air operated gull wing door design.

Guest 48buickkid
I always thought them to be odd and clunky looking. The front end is especially weird looking. I did not mourn the passing of Bricklin. They were the Aztek of sports cars

That's a little harsh? I can think of a few other vehicles in the sports car realm that deserve that name a bit more. Like a Skelta G Force.

They were sold by Oldsmobile dealers. Our exec director, Steve M says he even got forced to take them on in his dealer days. It seems odd they were AMC or Ford powered. I did an electric job in an Olds dealership in 1985. Crisconi Olds was moving from their long time home on South Broad St. in Philadelphia to new digs on Passyunk Ave near the airport. They still had some NOS Bricklin parts in stock including a set of fenders. I tried to buy them to no avail, they probably trashed them.

• 2 years later...
Guest gonesouth

When they moved from their startup plant to their 'lifetime' plant in 1974 they had a Grand Opening one Saturday with plant tours, hot dogs and hamburgers, etc. One of the etceteras was Bricklin T-Shirt Iron-on transfers. You saw an awful lot of them around Saint John that summer, as the political scandals around funding the plant caused a lot of interest!

I still have one. I should post a picture....

• 4 weeks later...
Guest renogrimace
I am trying to sell 3 at the moment in Reno, NV.  All original owner cars in excellent shape bought from the factory in Canada.  Here they are with contact info and pictures, pricing etc.

They are urethane not fiberglass. Body color the whole way through so you could sand out scratches without repaints. SV-1 (Safety vehicle one) was meant to be a safe sports car. I understand the front suspension was mostly AMC parts. Rumor has been that they got in a tissy with AMC so AMC cut their engine orders so they switched to the slightly less powerful Ford 351. I always thought these were cool cars. I think the biggest concern was with the size motor used for the gull wings being too small. But the doors are power... so you can pull up to ladies and press a button and the door would open. Who wouldn't hop inside with you?!?

The doors used a GM convertible top power  electric motor with hydralic fluid. Very inadequate. Doors too heavy, and sloppily assembled.

If you have ever had the same misfortune as I did you'll never get in another Bricklin. The motor was failing, line decided to burst on a very hot day trapping me inside. Last time I ever sat in it. These cars were built in New Brunswick by a untrained workforce and devil-may-care management.

Malcolm Bricklin was a world class shyster. A true shame about the whole Bricklin fiasco and the Canadian taxpayers who had to foot the bill!

Close to where we live is a guy with a "Bricklin" that looks like the ones pictured in this thread but has a fiberglass body and a

VW running gear.  It runs & drives!  I guess they rebodied more VW's than any car ever built.

Close to where we live is a guy with a "Bricklin" that looks like the ones pictured in this thread but has a fiberglass body and a

VW running gear.  It runs & drives!  I guess they rebodied more VW's than any car ever built.

Probably a Bradley GT.  Not counting dune buggy's, the Bradley GT was arguably, the most popular of all the fiberglass body kits designed for VW's at the time.

Craig